Where do Hifi measurements and Hearing Meet

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereosane

Where Music & Emotions Meet
Reaction score
I?m curious about this whole it must measure good to sound good yet it?s sounds good but sometimes measures bad or measures good but sounds okay..Are there specific measurements that will directly relate to what you hearing or is it delendant on to many variables?

I own the Audio-GD R2R11 which is the worst measuring Dac ASR have measured, yet I think it?s so good I sold my Nad M51 after hearing it, yet they then state in a blind test it would be hard to tell any Dac apart.. so that says to me the measurements aren?t telling me a thing about how it sounds, yet people will say it?s a poor design, even though it?s using quality components. Do these measurements they test for have a benchmark that it must meet to be considered good from a science and/or audio point of view. Can they actually say by changing a certain perameter it will create this type of sound or do they change that and then listen to decide it made that change and then state that changing that perimeter on all Dacs should have the same affect across all Dacs and then it?s written as a given, if anything is a given in Audio. Surely by now there should be a set of parameters that you can knowingly tweak to get a specific sound but then when we see the measurements the sound doesn?t always live up to the measurement..

Damn I?m making my head spin trying to understand the science of Audio  :Ooooooh: