Author Topic: Life changing experiences  (Read 391 times)

Offline Mervin

Life changing experiences
« on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »
With so many things happening around us, family, country, work, it seems in my life, my main system has taken a back seat and even had the weird decision to sell it.  Thank goodness I snap out of that.
I have decided to to minimize my life and put main system in storage for later use as to get the same again will be a lot.  I am finding that the forum is less and less a place to go to, personally.

So many things are lying around that you do not even realise that it was stolen by the painters more than a year ago.  :walled:

So, trying to own and owe as little as possible, going to start a clean-up, only smaller items are lying around but others will have more value to it than me.
Music still is blood in my veins but experiencing the effect more than chasing the dragon.

Peace!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:22:24 PM by mahleu »
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: Lie changing experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:28:19 AM »
Sounds like you need to retire!

For the last 10 years of when I worked, I only did half-day on the road with the guys.  This gave me ample time to organise my life the way I wanted it
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Mervin

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:29:53 AM »
Sounds like you need to retire!

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Offline BJ

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
Merv, Hang in there my friend...

We all go through these seasons in a more or lesser extent.

I can relate to most if not all of your opening post.

IMO social media and its initial intentions has gone for a loop. No matter where you go on sites and forums, people are more kindling fires to destroy one another than building peace.

So for me, Social media has become the biggest “Lie Changing Experience” in my life. Instead of bringing me piece and joy......relating to the things I found of interest in my life, it mostly impounds negatively.

But then there are the Golden moments, like Agaton Sax’s post that I read this morning about his Ref Turntable.

Refreshing and thoroughly enjoyable to read.....

My wife made a comment last night to me, that really hit home for me, in a Big way....

She said she find less and less old people aging with dignity, it’s like humanity has just lost there compass.

Maybe because I am approaching that season in my life, it truly resonated.....

Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Mervin

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
Thank you BJ.  I just think the focus of value in return of output in life is important for me.
I have also decided to travel more with the wife and I can consult world-wide on my skills which makes it appealing.

Offline BJ

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 08:54:21 AM »
Thank you BJ.  I just think the focus of value in return of output in life is important for me.
I have also decided to travel more with the wife and I can consult world-wide on my skills which makes it appealing.

Ditto

Geat idea, we can all spend more time with family and loved ones.

A good friend made a comment....

Life is not a race.....if it was, first price would be a wooden box.

I have also decided to focus on becoming last in the race....

Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:50:21 AM »
mervin, one can only empathise with you, the rat race catches up with one some time or the other. The sooner you realise that and reassess, like you are doing, the better.

Isn't it great to know that there are much simpler pleasures to enjoy.

Wishing you everything of the best in the next adventure of your life.

P.S. Admin should change you heading, reads LIE instead of LIFE

"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Mervin

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »
P.S. Admin should change you heading, reads LIE instead of LIFE
Missed that one ;)

Offline capetownwatches

Re: Life changing experiences
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 10:20:37 AM »
Your post certainly resonates with me, as I too am fast approaching the age where priorities start to shift.
One begins to realise what is REALLY important - family, friends, health.

Don't sweat the small stuff. The winner of this Human Race isn't the one who dies with the most toys.
That said though, music and the gear I use to render it really does go a long way towards keeping me sane.

Some find escape in all manner of things, some of which are not healthy at all (drugs and alcohol spring to mind).
So long as I have something that provides music, I have no need for such indulgences, although I won't judge anyone else who does.

And I also find that sharing this great hobby of ours with like-minded folks on this forum is good for my mental health too.
Of course I am a relative newbie still, but I hope it doesn't get old anytime soon.

Best of luck with your "readjustment" Mervin.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:23:38 AM by capetownwatches »

Kingrex HQ1=Audio-gd NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=Benchmark DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990Pro=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50

Offline Katji

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »
We've seen it developing, it's good to hear about the progress.
Yes, retire, ASAP.  Wind down the obligations, don't take on anything new. When you do, later on, only with terms & conditions you like, and where you like.
The only urgent part of it is getting the money out.
Main system in storage, good idea, postpone the final decision.  Possessions generally, disposing can be quite problematic. (Can be, I suppose it depends on the individual.)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:36 PM »
I figured I would retire when I turned 60 and had it all planned out.   Someone took over the business, ran it quite well for 9 months, then managed to spend R590 000 on fripperies, not paying for supplies and stock, neglecting customers, arguing with the best staff (really well qualified and keen guys).   So I threw him out and managed it for another 4 years before I got an offer from ADT

You can never tell what the future will hold.  Plus, what is considered enough money today is rapidly eroded by inflation, so you need to take that into account.  And despite what many people tell you, being retired does not reduce your monthly spend, if anything it increases.   You must have decent health insurance, and those companies are not shy about increasing premiums.  They tell you it is "only" a 12.5% increase, then you spot that several limits have been reduced and a list of procedures has been deleted.  To get that put back makes the increase 22%

Two friends emigrated.  One to Canada and one to New Zealand.  The Canadian story lasted 11 years, they are back now, and happy.   The New Zealand couple cannot stop singing the praises of the country
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Wolla

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 07:06:11 PM »
@Mervin I really think that you have gone through a lot lately and some of it very painful experiences and it certainly will have you reflecting on life once more.

Glad you did not sell your awesome stereo system - its a lot of money to replace and get back the very same stuff.

I have gone through quite a bit of kit over the past 10 years and have recently acquired a few real fine choice items (the best that I can afford anyway), rather than having it all. I have prioritized my kit around how I live and work.
Before I had a half decent stereo in the lounge, but could never really use and enjoy it much. I have now kitted out my home-office with my stereo kit and enjoy it tremendously while I work (and play).

One can only do what I did, it you have complete control of the space, which makes it very difficult in your work environment up to now, where you travel a lot for work, hence the type of portable kit that you have accumulated to enjoy music while on the road.

Obviously your environment will change soon and then you will have to re-evaluate everything once more. In a sense its part of the fun I suppose, but one gets to a point where you just want to get done with it all and I fully understand that. It is however awesome to have a place and the time to enjoy that special kit that you have worked so hard to accumulate to enjoy your music on - finally.

I personally think that everything will make a whole lot more sense once you know: this is where you are going to spend say the next 10 years, etc. Create a space just for yourself - yes, be selfish for once in your life - zone out and enjoy.

'May the force be with you' wherever life takes you next.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:09:25 PM by Wolla »
Main: FLAC > Halide Bridge > Bel Canto DAC3vb > Bel Canto REF1000 > Piega Premium 5
Cables: Zu Audio - Mission
PC: Zotac ZBox Nano > Korg DS-DAC-100m > HK GLA55
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, DIY OB Boombox

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 07:17:41 PM »
I try to live as "lean" as possible and if I do not use something at least once a month, I get rid of it.
I enjoy my hifi and HT kit immensely, as a matter of fact it is my only hobby/means of "getting away from it all". Music is an integral part of my life and most of my memories are associated with a song/artist/album. It was good decision to not get rid of your kit. Once you have settled you will definitely get the urge to fire it up again and replacing it will be extremely expensive.
My New Years resolution is to attempt to travel more and see more of the world while I still can.
I wish you well on your exciting journey.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:20:47 PM by Drifter »

Offline reactor_sa

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 10:06:38 PM »
For years I was tempted to try the minimalist lifestyle, thinking it would be a lot less to worry about and more money in the bank. Could never get myself to do it though.

Since I was moving to Australia early last year, I packed up and sent everything off to the land down under. Well I ended up drifting around Australia and then some between Australia, South Africa and Britain. Almost a year later and I'm still living out of the same 2 suitcases. I've learnt there really isn't much that you need besides a roof over your head and a suitcase or two of belongings. The only thing I REALLY miss is my bed and my pillows.

So there you go, if you don't use it, get rid of it. Down let your collection of unused goods hold you down.