Author Topic: Owners of the DT770's, are you happy with your purchase?  (Read 405 times)

Offline Fishbone123

Owners of the DT770's, are you happy with your purchase?
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »
I  am looking for a mid range set of cans that are fun to listen to and they must be super comfortable.

I bought my first pair of entry level headphones about 6 months ago (the M40x), and even though they are great reference headphones, I want more meat in the lower range. Another issue is the comfort on the m40x was unbearable for me , even after I replaced them with generic HM5 pads.

Are the DT770's a good buy or is it diminishing returns at this point? I have also thought of selling my m40x's and going for something more expensive , like the open back massdrop HD58x.

I know these cans might not be that expensive for you but I am still a student so I have to budget effectively 

Offline Wietsche

Re: Owners of the DT770's, are you happy with your purchase?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:13:53 PM »
Hi,

I am a big fan of the DT770 Pro. I have the 80 ohm version. I do however think that the DT770 is not a big enough upgrade from the M40x. I spent time with both at some stage.

If you are willing to go for an open back and don't need the isolation from a closed ear cups, then the HD6xx and other varieties from Massdrop are by far better sounding. Open back headphones have always sounded better to me than closed back at the same price point.

Closed backs do usually have "more" bass, or more sound preasure, but its not necessarily better or of higher quality. A well amplified open back can have excellent and textured bass that you can get addicted to.

I have the HD6xx, and I prefer them to the  DT770 if my environment allows for it. The DT770 gets the most attention though because I use them at work where isolation is priority. I have recently upgraded to a DT1770, but the DT770 is still my "workhorse".

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
W

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Fishbone123

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:44:34 AM »
Hi ! Thank you for your valuable input!

I have also considered getting open backs because of the immersion and quality it allows that might be to restrictive for a closed back, but I have just found myself wanting with the m40x's. I listen to a lot of hip hop/trap/electronic/lo-fi music especially good and colorful music production, and i have always found myself wanting more with the m40x.

I understand how infamous it is to love the low end as a person that listens critically to music, but it is just my preference. I am not looking for skullcandy crushers, just a more v shaped set of cans that are really comfortable.

In that regard are the hd6xx worth paying almost double for ? Or in your opinion maybe I should look at the DT990 for a fun open back option?

Offline Fishbone123

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 12:46:32 AM »
For a grand more I can get the Hd 58x , are they also worth looking into opposed to the DT990s

Offline Wietsche

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »
No problem!

My experience with Sennheiser is that they have a house sound that are more neutral and more mid focused in the details. Judging from your music taste, there are not so much going one in the vocal range, more bass and treble sparkle. Then I would say try the upgrade to the M50x, just because people tend to find them too bass heavy, but might work for you. I have not heard them myself so can't confirm further. HD6XX and HD58X is worth the money in every regard. But don't expect V shaped. HD6XX is the more bassy and warm sounding of the two though. They they are vocal masterpieces in my books.

V-shaped with fast bass and lots of detailed sparkle, I think the Beyerdynamic house sound is right up your alley. Not that it does bad mids, I just find them super resolving, and it makes sense because they are meant for studio use. Best is to try to listen to them. Maybe contact CPlan and ask if they have domo sets available and make a trip. The DT990 Pro has a reputation of ear bleeding sharpness in the highs, but it is very easy to deal with dampening those highs if the rest is as per your taste. But there is no good way to add those sharper details to a headphone. And just note that the DT770/880/990 does not have detachable cables and are 3m long. But parts for them are cheap if you want to modify the cable. If that a deal breaker, and you want DT770, go for the Custom One varient. Its essentially the same with detachable cable and meant to work nice on a phone.

The only other brand I would look at is Fostex dynamic driver headphones or the other varients that use their drivers and sometimes even designs with some teeaks and rebrand it. Dont look at their planar headphones without n good strong headphone amp.

Besides the above, have you ever tried the M40x on a proper DAC and amplifier? Maybe you just dont have enough power on tap to make them shine. They are really good headphones. I know 3 owners using them on a daily basis with no complaints.

Cheers,
W

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »
I've owned more than one pair of DT770 and (in my opinion and with my gear) there is no closed back that competes at the price.

Thoroughly enjoyable SQ from most any source, but optimal when fed some decent current.
I use my LG V20 from time to time when travelling, with great results on most material.
Wietsche has eloquently described the signature of these, no need for me to reiterate.

However you haven't mentioned what you will be driving them with?

This is rather fundamental if one is to be able to offer advice.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:37:49 PM by capetownwatches »

Solo Ultra Linear=NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=BM DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990 600=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50=Ayra 5=Cables Various

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
I have a set of 250Ohm DT770s. I find them a lot easier on the ears for long listening than my HD650s, would definitely recommend them.

Offline Fishbone123

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »
I use the m40x through my laptop and they get loud enough and there is no weird static or fuzz when i put them on so I don't think I need a amp/DAC ? I think I have decided to get the DT990s and if they still don't satisfy me i'll just call it a day and look into speakers haha.

Thanks for all the imput !

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »
Try a decent DAC/amp and revisit your post above  ;)

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 04:27:00 PM »
Try a decent DAC/amp and revisit your post above  ;)
Agreed, although it might be a bit of a stretch to get a decent one on DT990 money.
Add 1500 bucks or so and you're there though, with some patience and keeping an eye on the Classifieds... >:D

Solo Ultra Linear=NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=BM DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990 600=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50=Ayra 5=Cables Various

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »
The Custom One Pro is a very good option, very easy to drive and with a clever adjustable port system to tune the bass end to your preference or music taste.