Author Topic: Cone colour  (Read 625 times)

Offline Mongoose

Cone colour
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »
Hi gents.

What would be the best way to recolour a paper speaker cone and also to clean the rubber surround. With regards to the surround, im not sure what type of rubber it is though.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Re: Cone colour
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
You don't want a paint with a solvent.  What about poster paint?
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Online Katji

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
If it's paper, i'd rather use something with solvent than with water.

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 10:59:59 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of black shoe polish. I have a feeling that solvent might mess around with the glue holding the cone to the spider and the cone to the surround. Anybody used shoe polish yet? Come now, dont be shy  :goofy:

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:03 AM »
Aerolak or similar, but sprayed from a greater distance than normal, so the paint is almost dry by the time it reaches the cone.
Give plenty of ventillation, so solvents evaporate very fast.

Online Katji

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 12:47:33 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same - do it like overspray.  ...No problem with matte black /whatever. 
Shoe polish, you would have to hold a stiff piece of plastic or something behind it, because you would have to do a lot of rubbing, pushing. 
Shoe polish does contain solvent, of course, just not so it affect would the adhesive.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:54:06 AM »
Friend used a spray can, only to find the cone separated from the neoprene surround (it became kind of fluted).   Fellow at Exclusive Enterprises in Obs said that it was the solvent in the propellant that dissolved the glue.   He was the one who suggested poster paint, applied with a very small brush.

However, I forget what the cone was made of, but it quite an old speaker and the problem was that they were different shades of brown, and he wanted them the same
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline bbe22

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 08:04:30 AM »
Aerolak or similar, but sprayed from a greater distance than normal, so the paint is almost dry by the time it reaches the cone.
Give plenty of ventillation, so solvents evaporate very fast.

Agreed  +  tape / mask  off the surround......

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
How about clothes dye? You could go auburn.

Agreed  +  tape / mask  off the surround......

Yep. Do not attempt to colour the surround. It could change its flexative and restorative properties.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »
Thanx guys

Never knew that shoepolish had a solvent in it, looks like its gonna be the aerosol route then. This build is going to take some time, im in no rush with it  :rubhands:  :EGrin: Been reading through Troels Gravesen's website, regarding tweeter and midrange placement in the cab, quite interesting. Also noticed that one of the domes has been pushed in, tried getting it out but been unsuccessful up until now as it was in tha position for a long time. Original dome is made of cloth, and changing them to a paper dome would alter the TS parameters somewhat. Brian, I might take you up on you offer

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
How about clothes dye? You could go auburn.

Yep. Do not attempt to colour the surround. It could change its flexative and restorative properties.

My first gf was a natural auben head. The things that took place in that room! JUSSES!!!!!!!!!! :EGrin:

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
Auburn. The hi-fallutin' word for GINGER!  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

My first wife was a ginger when I met her & blonde when we divorced  :angel: :giggle:. Never ever ever again.  :nutter:
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 04:55:43 PM »
Spoke to a young man today, the owner of Speaker Repairs in Wynberg and I asked him if he had any ideas how I could recolour the cone of the speaker I have here. He suggested a small amount of cold glue diluted in water. Then to apply it with a small brush and let it dry. Anybod tried this before? Anybody got a old faded paper coen speaker they can try it on?

Offline bbe22

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 08:03:21 PM »
Yes this is an old trick and works      one of the methods to "dope" a (paper) cone
If you go this route buy some fabric dye and mix it in to get to your preferred colour before hand
mask off the surround

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 11:58:03 PM »
Yes this is an old trick and works      one of the methods to "dope" a (paper) cone
If you go this route buy some fabric dye and mix it in to get to your preferred colour before hand
mask off the surround

Im a bit concerned that it would add extra weight to the cone, hence changing the parameters? Or would it be negligable