Author Topic: Questions for the guys that runs XMOS U8 Sub cards in there DAC  (Read 235 times)

Offline Gerlach

Questions for the guys that runs XMOS U8 Sub cards in there DAC
« on: January 09, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »
So I got my self a DSD1796 NE5532 Double Chip DAC Decoder Board with XMOS U8 Sub Card and it's up and running. The XMOS card is a xmos xs1-u8 mfa (eval).  I'm using TUSBAudio software to run it in Windows mode and so far it's playing. There was no software that came with the board.

My question is, is there other software that I can install and use to run the dac with and to its full potential. The software that XMOS gives on the site is a Evaluation / Prototyping and beeps after a hour of playing. It stops when you pull the the usb and plug it in again. https://www.xmos.com/developer/support/software/uac2/driver-support

Some software site's will help allot and where I can find some.

Then 2nd question. There is no sound when I play DSD music in foobaar2000. The DSD light on the dac doesn't go on, so I guess so settings that I need to do?

Your help will be highly appreciate  :2thumbs: 

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline juventino

Re: Questions for the guys that runs XMOS U8 Sub cards in there DAC
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
For Foobar setting look here for assistance

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,48954.0.html
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Online naughty

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »
Then 2nd question. There is no sound when I play DSD music in foobaar2000. The DSD light on the dac doesn't go on, so I guess so settings that I need to do?

Your help will be highly appreciate  :2thumbs:

I wouldnt know about your DAC software since i have very different DACs .... but i could maybe help you with some assistance as far as Foobar goes

which bits of software components have you installed to make Foobar work - heres a link to the software you need provided by Dubya Jay Dee in some other threads

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

also see if you have the latest version of Foobar installed which as far as i know is version 1.4.1 not sure of the changes between versions but it cant hurt to have the latest version installed

the thread linked by Juventino refers to older versions though the principles remain the same but i havent covered the latest updates there - BUT it should point out all the steps you need to follow to make DSD work

Offline Gerlach

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 09:24:35 PM »
Thanks guys!! Found some drivers from Unison research and so far it works and running 192Khz and massive change in sound.  http://www.unisonresearch.com/en/products/valves/integrated-amplifiers/sh.html

Will check the foobaar2000 forum post and do all the changes.

Offline Gerlach

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
I wouldnt know about your DAC software since i have very different DACs .... but i could maybe help you with some assistance as far as Foobar goes

which bits of software components have you installed to make Foobar work - heres a link to the software you need provided by Dubya Jay Dee in some other threads

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

also see if you have the latest version of Foobar installed which as far as i know is version 1.4.1 not sure of the changes between versions but it cant hurt to have the latest version installed

the thread linked by Juventino refers to older versions though the principles remain the same but i havent covered the latest updates there - BUT it should point out all the steps you need to follow to make DSD work

OOOoo yes, so far i didn't install any components to Foobar, well what i can't remember of.

Online naughty

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:07:43 PM »
well you have to install asioproxy and then adjust the settings as desacribed in the "Foobar made easy" link - then set foo_dsd_asio .... before installing asioproxy remember you have to install the asio and wasapi components into foobar first .... then DSD should work - if you have any problems then just shout and we will see if we can see which part of the steps you missed out

the thing is Foobar is not just a plug and play program ie it follows a modular approach and whatever additional functionality you want to include means you have to install the components to make it work .... but this is a once off thing because once the components are installed it just carries on working

Online naughty

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »

okay - i just updated everything to do with Foobar .... it all installs exactly as before - and i just uninstalled all the old stuff and then installed all the new stuff and restored my playlists in under 15 minutes so its all just as easy as before ..... the 15 minutes also includes changing the taskbar icon to one of the 3D versions and rebooting the PC to make this change apply  :thumbs: .... so it was all easy peasy

everything including the skin just works as before - so as i said im not sure of what has changed in the new version - will do some reading at the Foobar site and if there are any changes of note i will let you know, but whatevers in that guide will work more-or-less how that guide shows it

once you sort out Foobar according to the guide then all you need to do is to sort out your DACs software  :thumbs:

Offline Gerlach

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 06:07:44 PM »
okay - i just updated everything to do with Foobar .... it all installs exactly as before - and i just uninstalled all the old stuff and then installed all the new stuff and restored my playlists in under 15 minutes so its all just as easy as before ..... the 15 minutes also includes changing the taskbar icon to one of the 3D versions and rebooting the PC to make this change apply  :thumbs: .... so it was all easy peasy

everything including the skin just works as before - so as i said im not sure of what has changed in the new version - will do some reading at the Foobar site and if there are any changes of note i will let you know, but whatevers in that guide will work more-or-less how that guide shows it

once you sort out Foobar according to the guide then all you need to do is to sort out your DACs software  :thumbs:

Shot, Thanks naughty!!! I did download asioproxy last night, and try to add the settings but were a bit of a  :thinking: tricky on for me but will go check for your update on your post and do all the steps and check if i can get mine up and running. I need to find the guys on the forum that got the breeze dac's because it looks like they use the same XMOS 8U usb chip.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »
Shot, Thanks naughty!!! I did download asioproxy last night, and try to add the settings but were a bit of a  :thinking: tricky on for me but will go check for your update on your post and do all the steps and check if i can get mine up and running. I need to find the guys on the forum that got the breeze dac's because it looks like they use the same XMOS 8U usb chip.
Off the top of my head, Craig (Chingy) and Wietsche both have, or had, Breeze DACs.

Kingrex HQ1=Audio-gd NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=Benchmark DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990Pro=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »
Use Daphile and avoid the Windows driver.

Offline Gerlach

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Thanks @capetownwatches , Chingy sold his one. Will ask Wietsche to.

Thanks @gavinbirss  it's a bit of more advance this but I will use it on a spare laptop that I got that I have plans for a music streamer system.