HT - where to start?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonsound

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

I've only been interested in stereo until now and watch movies at a low level (small children). I don't even switch on the amp at the TV and just listen through the TV itself.
As such I'm not at all up to date with what's going on in the HT world.

If I were to shop around for a good 2ndH amp, what would be a minimum requirement i.t.o. specs?

I'm e.g. thinking that HDMI is not important for me because:
1) I don't have a flat panel, and it's not high on my list
2) I don't have multiple sources e.g. PS3, Xbox, Blueray, etc, so the amp will be switching sound mostly.

What does one need i.t.o. ability to play modern material - what is the most common sound track?  Dolby Digital? Dolby Surround, DTS? That hasn't changed in the last few years, right?

I wouldn't need too strong an amp since only occasionally will it do other duties (have other hifi in other room). I'm thinking I perhaps don't even need a sub or rears to start with- if I can just get the center up & running for now it will help to hear the vocals in most modern movies - where the sound effects are so large I think they want to force everybody to get a center for speech.
PS can you set e.g. the center speaker a bit louder than the rest?

My listening levels will be moderate to low, but I'd like decent quality.

I think the amp must at least have digital coax in and on-board DACs, because DVD players no longer have all those analog outputs.     hmmmm what else?

Is there a year older which I shouldn't consider at all?
Ideally I'd like to find some classic which is still great, but without HDMI and so the owner is upgrading.
But I don't want to find down the line that some crucial development I need is missing from it.

Any thoughts?
Regards
Leon