Author Topic: a good phone APP for testing the room acoustics ???  (Read 948 times)

Offline The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • "I lie, I lay, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
a good phone APP for testing the room acoustics ???
« on: January 08, 2019, 12:11:43 PM »
Maybe im looking for a quick fix here and deep inside I know it wont be this simple but I am looking for a starting point as I go on the journey to sort out my stereo room for sufficient acoustics as it is simply a disaster right now.

Logically it would be great to down load an app for me to test the room and to see where I should start as confirmation that it is indeed bright etc etc.

or any advice on who could come there with a measuring device to assist..... retailer vendor what ever but I need a starting point, all I know right now is that a system that had immense tight controlled base in a previous room, now has nothing.

Cheers 

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
Re: a good phone APP for testing the room acoustics ???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 02:54:00 PM »
Measuring is one thing, interpreting the results is another and then knowing what to do to fix it is even more complicated.

I gather the introduction of a sub did not affect your results?.

https://www.oxlandacoustics.com/blank-6

Ive read good things about them. Rather use professionals.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
One of the easiest methods is to get an SPL Meter and some Test Discs - Soundcheck, Stereophile has a few [ covers mostly the *bass range ], etc [ most guys that have computer based music has downloads or have copied these discs to their drives].

Read a couple of tutorials on the Web to use the SPL meter properly, setup, do the measurements [ covers main frequencies from 20Hz to 20KHz]. That will give you a quick guide to what is happening in your room.

*Bass
the lowest adult male singing voice.
"his bass voice rings out attractively"
denoting the member of a family of instruments that is the lowest in pitch.
"a bass clarinet"
synonyms:   deep-toned, deep, low-pitched, low-toned, low, full-toned, resonant, sonorous, powerful, rumbling, booming, resounding; baritone
"a bass drum"

Tip
Similar-sounding words
bass is sometimes confused with base
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »
https://www.roomeqwizard.com

https://youtu.be/-A8LjsOx6d0

@AlleyCat I think Mr The Kock's problem is that his speakers are right in the corners (B&W CM10). They are rear ported to make things worse. Bass waves are created, amplified by the corners and pushed down his room. The area behind the listening space is basically all uncovered glass. The glass reflects the bass waves, push them back into the room and these waves then cancel out the next batch of bass waves that are created, hence the feeling that bass has disappeared.

I think that room is going to be quite challenging to treat. I think he should start with:
1) moving the speakers out of the corner, one third into the room.
 2) put thick curtains with lining in front of all the windows to prevent sound from being reflected by the glass
3) get a thick carpet to put right in front of the speakers (his current carpet seems to be a sisal type of hard carpet that I don't think aids much in absorption)

What do you think?

You can see the pics of his room here:
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,76826.0.html
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:53:24 PM by Drifter »

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »
This is a really great video, explaining sound waves in a room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPYt10zrclQ

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »
Because of all the glass he is getting [sound/]bass leakage. There's not much you can do about that [ yes, there is : get another room ].

Get the spl meter and use it in conjunction with the programmes/software suggested above to confirm what's happening in the room.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline The kock

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
thanks all im going to do the reading and try the options given and will share the feedback for reference.

Thanks again

Offline adie

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 02:57:05 PM »
If you have something like JRiver for playback try listening to the test tones already mentioned- Alan Parsons/ Cara etc.
Where there's a null or overblown node, try adjusting the relative frequency by ear using the Parametric Equalizer (there are 2) DSP. JRiver also had a 'sommer' equalizer, room correction, convolution.

Worked pretty well for me- though that was in conjunction with room treatment (can't beat that).

Do it again after a couple of days.

Then do it again.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 03:03:12 PM »
The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club have a calibrated microphone and the REW software on a laptop.  The service to perform an evaluation of your room, is available to anyone in the greater Cape Town area, for free

Alternatively, if you are a member of the club, you may borrow the microphone and try it yourself.

It is not an instant fix, but will go some way to pointing you in the right direction.   REW software is available for Mac and Windows and is free after registering

https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/official-rew-room-eq-wizard-support-forum.10/
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline adie

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »
The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club have a calibrated microphone and the REW software on a laptop.  The service to perform an evaluation of your room, is available to anyone in the greater Cape Town area, for free

Alternatively, if you are a member of the club, you may borrow the microphone and try it yourself.

It is not an instant fix, but will go some way to pointing you in the right direction.   REW software is available for Mac and Windows and is free after registering

https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/official-rew-room-eq-wizard-support-forum.10/

:notworthy:
Great stuff!

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »
His problem is he has no boundary reinforcement to energise his room with the bass coming from his speakers, the room is also rather large.

Next alternative will be change his speakers to something far, far bigger, like lots of 18 inch drivers. Or he should pick a spot outside to listen to his music [ these are all said in jest, but rings true].

Offline The kock

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 08:54:35 PM »
Well After trying many things and looking at a lot of info and listening to a lot of music, I got to the realization that the, rear ported CM10's and this room simply dont work. Even with the introduction of an active Sub it was still seriously lacking.

So I decided to try something different and introduced Electrostats and Active sub and am happy to report that my issue is solved, still alot of tunning to be done over time but the elements are there to make the sound I enjoy in the room I enjoy without destroying the room.

Now to find the right Sub while my little Rel does duty bravely.

Thanks again for all the inputs. :dop:   

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 09:07:37 PM »
Martin Logan?

Offline adie

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 09:17:22 PM »
[https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,76858.0.html]
Especially if you have electrostatics.

Offline The kock

• AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 11:35:06 AM »

Temp fix, 15 1000w rms + 8 200w rms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk