Media streaming - 4khdr & Atmos

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djinn

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, happy 2019. I've been all over the internet looking for answers and watching reviews etc hoping to get to a conclusion... Then I remembered these forums and thought I'd ask.

I'm looking for a streaming device, that I'm able to use to stream local and online content in her and Atmos. At first Apple TV seemed promising, then Amazon's 3rd gen firestick looked like the winner.. after ordering one on Takealot I realised it won't be the gen3 so no Atmos or even 4k, now I've got the Roku plus in my Amazon cart ready to order, but then remembered Netflix's list of supported Atmos products, and Roku is not listed.

Really frustrating, and was hoping someone here has tried the Roku to confirm if it works with Netflix Atmos before ordering?

The funny thing is that my TV is hit and miss with audio streaming, as it only supports a limited number of formats. It very rarely switches to DD +, and stays on DD. (No trueHD or any DTS support) so third party will have to take over the "smart" function of the TV, -what a waste.

Amazing how there doesn't seem to be one thing that has it all.

I would then plug the Roku straight in to my AVR, so bypass any limitations set by the TV.