Author Topic: Quad 33 restoration  (Read 3366 times)

Offline mygoggie

Quad 33 restoration - paint
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
Just a quick update on the paint I had mixed.

As can be read here, the first try to have paint mixed at a professional paint supplier did not work.

The mixing of the correct paint is now in the hands of a friend of mine as you can read here.
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline mygoggie

Re: Quad 33 restoration
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2019, 10:35:25 PM »
Things are a bit slow as I need to catch up two months of work and everything at home decided to break when I felt better again ... tonight the main sewer drain became blocked. All fun and games  :whistler:

I have received the first set of machine screws, so that is good news. Still trying to find a lift from the UK to SA for the rest.

I have bought high density foam from the art shop and am making myself a giant inking pad to ink the back plate on. Think of it as a rubber stamp in the Post Office or bank (do they still do that???)

@Family_Dog was so kind to assist me to get some fancy brew to coat the pots in once I have cleaned these. Rheostat cleaning is on the table this weekend.
Herman

Offline DC

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 11:00:55 PM »
When life gives you lemons...add tequila and salt  :thumbs:

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 11:21:22 PM »
Doing my best @DC but when you are drunk, you cannot concentrate ...  :giggle:

I have had no joy to date with the metal parts and the paint. Tomorrow I will take some action and drive around town myself to get this sorted.
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2019, 10:27:22 AM »
Finally got hold of my metal parts yesterday and handed them in this morning to be stripped, cleaned and bright zinc plated. The grand total of R150 for the 303 and 33 metal bits and bobs. And it will be ready this afternoon.  :clap:
Herman

Online Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
Can't wait for the pics!!    :thumbs:

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline mygoggie

Quad 33 restoration - Zinc plating
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »
I got the metal parts back this morning. All looking good, except the cover box which has some rust in two inside corners. Will take it back on Monday to have it fixed. They can also do all the machine screws so these will go with for a clean and renewed coating.

All the metal parts of the Quad 303 and this Quad 33 compared to before and after.

Before:

After:

And the backplate frame ready for assembling.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:16:49 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

Offline mygoggie

Quad 33 restoration - back plate
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2019, 11:29:11 PM »
I had 30 minutes this afternoon to spend on getting the back plate's raised lettering covered in mud coloured acrylic paint. If you remember, I first try to do this with a roller and the roller itself ended up being concave and useless. Then @peterc gave me the idea of reversing the process and using the back plate as a rubber stamp to be coated.

So about two weeks ago I bought some high density foam at the art shop, pinkish purple of colour to get the delicate feminine touch I need for this operation. ;-)

I cut a portion of the sheet, and stuck it to a cutting board (which I fished from the ocean when sailing) using my favourite temporary glue, 3M Spray Mount.

Spray mount really grips but you can peel the glued items apart very easily and clean the glue off with a water soaked rag. A picture to show you what it looks when you want to buy it at your local art supplier.

I then spread some acrylic paint on the foam with my new SAA voyager miles card. At least the card is good for something .... I followed @peterc 's advice and kept the coating thin and even.

Alas, the coating was too thin and the lettering did not cover well.

So I tried again with a bit more paint and pressing a bit harder. Not a good idea as I now covered the entire back plate's surface with paint! Oh well, that is the way we learn.

A quick wash with water and an even thin coating of paint on the foam later I found that a light press of the back plate onto the foam gets an even although very light inking on the lettering. So I touched it again to the foamed ink and by the fourth round it looked perfect!

Thanks @peterc for the advice! Job well done!

Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
This morning I made some time to start coating the lettering on the two flaps. I had to make a small stamp to achieve this and touch the uneven letters up with a toothpick.

The stamp to fit the flap and allow the flap handle to stick past the foam surface.

The final lettering looking good. Sorry about the shadow on the flap. Only saw that now!

Now to fix the badly glued other flap before I start coating the lettering. More later ... time to work!
Herman

Offline Skylark

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Are you using acrylic art paint for the lettering?
How durable is it once its cured, pretty tough if I recall last I used some?
Music is in the Mind

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »
Are you using acrylic art paint for the lettering?
How durable is it once its cured, pretty tough if I recall last I used some?

Yes, high quality acrylic paint. It is very tough as most paintings will tell you  :giggle:
Herman

Offline DC

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2019, 09:43:16 AM »
That's some very impressive work! Such attention to detail, its looking amazing.

Offline Larry

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »
Looking excellent

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the support guys!

Now how do I fix this glue joint? Or does someone have a replacement flap for me?

Herman

Offline Larry

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »
A new one would be first prize, but I guess a plastic weld if you donít come right?