Author Topic: Quad 303 restoration  (Read 31273 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: Quad 303 restoration
« Reply #285 on: November 04, 2019, 04:23:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply @Schalk ! I will chat to you on email about my plans. Let me first get the plating redone. I will need to check the 303 chassis as well as that is already partially assembled.
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
Dang ... the 303 chassis has also corroded, so I had to strip everything I have assembled from it. It will go back to the platers as well. Dunno what the heck they did but the coating IMHO is way too thin to offer any protection.
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
I handed the parts in this morning and got an email this afternoon to please come and collect. Let's trust that this time round it will be done so that no rust will appear!

In my rush this morning I forgot the 33's chassis. Will take it in when I collect the others. Too many things ... :sweat:
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »
Crazy world we live in at the moment. Load shedding saw our supply being switched off at 2h00 and when the supply went on at 6h30 it immediately shut down. In this time, some brave gentleman offered to clean the main sub-station of old equipment and copper ...

Supply only came back on now after 14h.

Anyway I spent the time in town, making my water purification skid's shopping list a bit shorter and collecting the replated Quad 303 and 33 parts. Looking good this time round.

Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »
Just to be double sure I am not running into an oxidation issue again I dunked the 303 and 33 chassis into @Family_Dog's SAF-DEM dupa.

I am hoping this will seal it just that little tiny extra bit required.

All nicely dried and ready for assembly. The rest of the parts I will coat with a layer of primer to make sure that those are seals as well.

Herman

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #290 on: November 10, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »
Interesting, not sure if it will assist against oxidation as this is hardly a problem up here ;)

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #291 on: November 13, 2019, 05:31:40 PM »
Call me a tad crazy but @Michon sold me another Quad 303. Oh well, while I am busy I can just as well do another in tandem.

The PCBs I will replace, the rest looks in rather good conditions compared the one I started off with.

Herman