Author Topic: Quad 303 restoration  (Read 8653 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: Quad 303 restoration
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2019, 09:05:09 AM »
Go to China. I use Seeed for my cheap boards, never disappointed. Most local pcb houses either is a front to China anyway, or operate a hybrid model where they do some stuff in-house and the rest in China. TraX in CT is good but very expensive.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks @pwatts that is maybe why I am so disappointed. My last batch of PCBs I had made for an industrial project was done in China. It cost the same and was brilliant quality boards.

Question, how do you get the boards back to SA?
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline pwatts

« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »
Question, how do you get the boards back to SA?

In the past I used normal shipping but with SAPO being what it is I nowadays go for DHL. I usually lump a number of different projects together to distribute the cost, since for a single $10 order the shipping will easily outweigh it.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2019, 09:24:36 AM »
In the past I used normal shipping but with SAPO being what it is I nowadays go for DHL. I usually lump a number of different projects together to distribute the cost, since for a single $10 order the shipping will easily outweigh it.

Yep, that is the main reason why I went with the recommended manufacturer in SA. When are you doing a run again so that I can see if I can pool my few boards with yours?
Herman

Offline Skylark

« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2019, 10:03:57 PM »
You could possibly use Aramex Global Shopper service seeing they are small and light weight, will probably cost R200-300 landed to ship them here.
Music is in the Mind

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »
So the friendly guys at EDA Technologies went out of their way to try and help me. It appears that everybody in the industry these days only use Gerber or such e-files to drive their PCB plotters. Thanks Rean for all your trouble!

So I will have to revert to the original method of doing the boards.

Is there anyone on this board that manages or has access to a silkscreen business that can burn a very fine mesh screen for me? I then can silkscreen the layout onto the PCB and take it from there.
Herman

Online marantz123

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »
So the friendly guys at EDA Technologies went out of their way to try and help me. It appears that everybody in the industry these days only use Gerber or such e-files to drive their PCB plotters. Thanks Rean for all your trouble!

So I will have to revert to the original method of doing the boards.

Is there anyone on this board that manages or has access to a silkscreen business that can burn a very fine mesh screen for me? I then can silkscreen the layout onto the PCB and take it from there.

Why not use the photo transfer film method ....its quick and gives good results. MicroRobotics ( no affiliation) keeps something like this.

Offline gapco

« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2019, 12:01:48 AM »
Why not try these guys for a solution. They produce PCB's from PDF files. I have never used but have seen some of their work which was pretty good.

http://www.cboards.co.za/index.php

Regarding Bosco I have used them for many years and received good quality boards, I do supply them with Gerber files for the boards, so if ever there are problems it's as a result of my doing and not theirs.

Here is some of Bosco's work.

https://imgur.com/4reyNYf

Give me an espresso and nobody gets hurt....

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2019, 06:19:27 AM »
Why not try these guys for a solution. They produce PCB's from PDF files. I have never used but have seen some of their work which was pretty good.

http://www.cboards.co.za/index.php

Thanks, will contact them.

Regarding Bosco I have used them for many years and received good quality boards, I do supply them with Gerber files for the boards, so if ever there are problems it's as a result of my doing and not theirs.

You know that is what ruined my day. They come highly recommended by everyone I spoke to (including you now). They confirmed that they can do the job without Gerber files and when this disaster happened, they simply shrugged their shoulders and did not even offer to fix the problem. Just said we will refund you and walked away. In my book, that is poor business strategy. Enough of this issue now ... let's walk on and find a solution.
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2019, 06:21:46 AM »
Why not use the photo transfer film method ....its quick and gives good results. MicroRobotics ( no affiliation) keeps something like this.

This is what I am looking at as well as @Michon and @Steerpike sent me some pictures of PCBs they made on the kitchen stove this way.

Herman

Offline Nchebe

« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2019, 10:30:16 AM »
Homemade is definitely the way to go.  It's not too difficult, plus you'll get the original phenolic-paper pcb material to boot.  Profiling might be tricky though, phenolic-paper breaks quite easily, so go carefully!

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:14 AM »
Homemade is definitely the way to go.  It's not too difficult, plus you'll get the original phenolic-paper pcb material to boot.  Profiling might be tricky though, phenolic-paper breaks quite easily, so go carefully!

Any idea where to get the original phenolic paper PCB material @Nchebe ? I know @Family_Dog recommended to steer away from this, but if I want to stick to original looks this might be the only way to go.

I see CEM-1 boards are more or less the same material, but is white in colour.
Herman

Offline Nchebe

« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »
I last saw it at Communica and Mantech, but not sure if they still have??  Websites say they don't :vsad:
I'll scratch around at home and see if i have any...

Offline Nchebe

« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
RS has, but not ex-stock. 4-6 days to get in.  RS stock code 433-927.

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »
Yep, that is the main reason why I went with the recommended manufacturer in SA. When are you doing a run again so that I can see if I can pool my few boards with yours?
https://jlcpcb.com/ has better prices on shipping - but expect to pay ~R600 for courier.

Offline ALF

« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2019, 10:43:39 AM »
This looks like an cheap and easy root not sure if this was mentioned before
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-45Wrms-ch-amplifier-PCB-Quad-303-kit-set-of-three-pieces-/321469269352
"the fostex thang".....