Author Topic: Quad 303 restoration  (Read 51457 times)

Offline 1200GXman

Re: Quad 303 restoration
« Reply #300 on: February 19, 2020, 01:44:38 PM »
Off topic, but may I ask what you are going to do in NZ?
Just curious what kind of people/jobs they are looking for that are so high in demand.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #301 on: February 19, 2020, 02:25:09 PM »
Off topic, but may I ask what you are going to do in NZ?
Just curious what kind of people/jobs they are looking for that are so high in demand.

If you are qualified to work in a skill then they want you. Plumbers and electricians are in high demand as are art teachers, engineers, craftsmen etc. Look at the skills shortage list - https://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/

I was offered a position as a principle geotechnical engineer in a small dynamic company which will allow me to travel all around NZ as part of my job requirement.
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline Jaws

« Reply #302 on: April 22, 2020, 07:19:58 AM »
Bump for update

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #303 on: May 07, 2020, 02:40:59 PM »
@Jaws yes ... between this project and this project and still battling to get a cheap paint and trying to move to New Zealand, I did not do a lot.

It is standing on my workbench looking at me .... :sweat:
Herman

Offline silodweller

« Reply #304 on: June 14, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »
Hi there,

Please forgive me if I am jumping on someone else's bandwagon or if I should be posting somewhere else but I seem to be having difficulty with my Quad 303 regulator board. 

I am unable to attain the 67v across pins 1-9.  The best I can achieve is 74v.  RV200 does absolutely nothing. Zener diode is showing good values. Both transistors have been changed for new components.  One thing I have noticed is R204 which is marked 10k on the circuit diagram is not a 0.5w but rather a 1w resistor.  Is that right? 

TR3 does not seem to be short circuit either.

On the right hand driver board I am able to attain 33.5v, no problem but on the left the lowest I can get to is 34v.  Bias is easily achievable on both driver boards.  I have changed all transistors as well as resistors on the driver boards where required. 

If anyone has any ideas, advice or suggestions I would be very grateful. 
 :help:

Offline silodweller

« Reply #305 on: June 14, 2020, 02:51:17 PM »
Hi there,

Please forgive me if I am jumping on someone else's bandwagon or if I should be posting somewhere else but I seem to be having difficulty with my Quad 303 regulator board. 

I am unable to attain the 67v across pins 1-9.  The best I can achieve is 74v.  RV200 does absolutely nothing. Zener diode is showing good values. Both transistors have been changed for new components.  One thing I have noticed is R204 which is marked 10k on the circuit diagram is not a 0.5w but rather a 1w resistor.  Is that right? 

TR3 does not seem to be short circuit either.

On the right hand driver board I am able to attain 33.5v, no problem but on the left the lowest I can get to is 34v.  Bias is easily achievable on both driver boards.  I have changed all transistors as well as resistors on the driver boards where required. 

If anyone has any ideas, advice or suggestions I would be very grateful. 
 :help:

UPDATE:  Sorry all but I discovered (perhaps it's the late nights?) I had the two diodes mixed up on the regulator board.  I feel so embarrassed!   :facepalm: 
All voltages are reading perfectly now! 

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #306 on: June 14, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
You are forgiven ...  :shh:

Glad you got sorted out!

Yeah, time for me to drag this project from the sealed box where I stored in preparation of me departing these shores. I have had various requests to get my backside in line and start doing all these projects of mine on video as well.

So please give the poll at the top of this page ^^^ (yes, up there!) a vote so that I can motivate myself!  :whip:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:58:16 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

Offline silodweller

« Reply #307 on: June 15, 2020, 11:44:37 AM »
You are forgiven ...  :shh:

Glad you got sorted out!

Yeah, time for me to drag this project from the sealed box where I stored in preparation of me departing these shores. I have had various requests to get my backside in line and start doing all these projects of mine on video as well.

So please give the poll at the top of this page ^^^ (yes, up there!) a vote so that I can motivate myself!  :whip:

Would definitely like to see some videos.  I used this particular Quad 303 post quite a number of times while sorting out my amplifier which is at this very moment playing some soundtracks and sounding incredible over the 5700s. 

Here's to the self-motivation!

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #309 on: June 15, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »
Thanks @peterc and @silodweller for the motivation!
Herman

Offline peterc

« Reply #310 on: June 15, 2020, 03:59:12 PM »
@MG
Your thread as been a total eye-opener, thanks!

Offline Rnwza

« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2020, 11:23:41 PM »
Such an awesome thread...love seeing restoration stuff like this. Can only hope that we get to see the finish line before you get on a lockdown flight and leave these shores. Truly inspiring!

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2020, 09:24:39 AM »
Such an awesome thread...love seeing restoration stuff like this. Can only hope that we get to see the finish line before you get on a lockdown flight and leave these shores. Truly inspiring!

Thanks guys, I will start on this very soon. Just wrapping up this project first.
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #313 on: July 11, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »
At long last I could start spray painting the metal cover parts! As I was on my way to New Zealand, I packed this project away and gave it to a friend for safekeeping.

As I was spray painting the parts of my lathe project, I asked my friend to get the Quad projects out of storage so that I can paint the metal parts as well.

Here the plated parts are hanging ready to be coated with etch primer. The two aluminium ends, I first need to sand blast before I can apply the etch primer.

And coated!

Next step is to spray 2K MS primer to fill up all the little imperfections and give me some meat to sand down to a smooth surface.

I also need to get the second Quad 303 unit I bought just before my proposed move out of storage. I am of the opinion that I will steampunk it. If done with detail, I think it will look brilliant!

Fun times ahead.  :2thumbs:
Herman