Bob Carver designs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidri

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Well, the company (and the man) certainly seem confident in their products:

"Our amplifiers simply do not run hot. Like their more expensive siblings, they are the coolest running tube type amplifiers in history allowing you to actually touch the tops of the mighty KT120's and never be burned! The internal temperature of our amplifiers is a bit warmer than the inside of your mouth, resulting in an indeterminate lifespan."

"Due to the unique design, all the components in the amplifier undergo much less stress than in conventional designs. Due to the efficiency of the concept, our transformers can be lighter and despite Bob Carver specifying esoteric steel for their cores, it helps us sell a $4000 amplifier for under $3000. Transformers are traditionally the most expensive component so if there?s no compromise in performance, this is a genuine benefit."

The second quote relates to the new KT120-based Crimson 275 amplifier - with a claimed output of 75wpc into 4/8ohms, yet weighing only nineteen pounds (8.6 kilograms). The Black Beauty mono makes 300 watts yet weighs only 19.5kg. Is it just me or is this quite unusual? The 5-year warranty on the Crimson even includes the actual valves, so he appears very confident in these designs.

(https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/copy-of-crimson-raven)

From enjoythemusic.com :
The new Carver amplifiers should be understood as a collaborative effort between Bob Carver and Tim de Paravicini. Bob relates the following: "Tim and I got together a few summers ago in a small California town (Sebastopol) when he came from England to do a service call on his amps for a big record company. I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Tim designed the input and driver stages, and together we designed the output stage. I designed the power supply. Tim taught me how to design the output transformer."

On his exclusive 'DC Restorer' circuit he says:
"The 2018 iteration of the Silver Seven 900 has every possible deluxe circuit embodiment known to man, woman, or minor wizards.  One of the most unique is the DC Restorer, which allows simultaneous low distortion and low idle power, allowing extreme longevity for the output tubes. The final distortion level in this amplifier is so low that I am embarrassed to write it down here, (okay?it's 0.50%) and the output tubes should last 40+ years, unless they have a catastrophic failure or won't bias up. Not only that, the DC Restorer works to maintain the exact, correct value of the DC component on each output tube grid through the entire audio signal swing, allowing perfect performance up to and even beyond clipping."
(https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/silver-seven)

What to make of his oh so confident claims?
I suppose he has a larger than most legacy in the audio world.
(Carver, Phase Linear, Sunfire, etc.)
He strikes me as a love-him-or-hate-him kind of a guy.