Author Topic: Weiss foam on H4xx.  (Read 463 times)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Weiss foam on H4xx.
« on: December 28, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
I have enjoyed my HiFi Man 4xx for a while, my first planar magnetic headphones. 

I bumped in to a thread about modifying them.  Being open planar they send as much in to the ears as in to the room.  I donít listen softly so have had some complaints. 

The modifications I read about were mostly about finding different dust filter cloth and metal mesh that allow easier air flow out the back of the capsules.   I listened to them in ďnakedĒ state by popping the rings and grids off and they are indeed better that way. 

So more leakage in to the room. 

Thatís when I thought of Basotect foam.   A modern acoustic absorption foam thatís very efficient.  Thought I might absorb a bit and get closer to naked, as itís in my opinion the reflections eliminated that make this difference.  Manually bringing  two blocks of basotect  foam in to the naked cavities while listening showed little if any audible difference over naked, so was beginning to think my hunch had merit.

I cut some up. 

Using the grids for some guidance. 

However.  I didnít like this as it squashed the lead wires normally left to float in air up against the transducer grid.  Thus I sliced the foam down itís middle. 

Now the wire is embedded in the foam. 

Added some crescent moons to fill the gaps as it just didnít look right with the two dark moons either side showing through the grid

And done. 

Impressions so far of a more open and detailed sound that isnít dark like the stock phones. 

My crude measurements of leakage while headphone is on a Sieveking Omega stand done with a phone app placed at the headphone stand seem to show I have ďgainedĒ or is that lost about 1.5 to 2 dB of leakage.   No great shakes  but an improvement with better sonics and dust protection maintained. 

Totally reversible too which is nice.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:57:49 PM by Hi-Phibian »
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline capetownwatches

Re: Weiss foam on H4xx.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »
Good work indeed - thanks for sharing!

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 10:09:30 PM »
Thanks indeed! Wonder if it has been tried on the HE560?
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »
Thanks indeed! Wonder if it has been tried on the HE560?
You could be the first... :cool:

Offline dingeth

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:48:30 PM »
Hi there, nice post!

As someone who is busy contemplating purchasing the HE4xx from massdrop, would you mind providing some thoughts on the headphones after having owned them for a while?

I'm currently deciding on whether to spring for the HE4xx or the HD6xx and which would be the better "compliment" to my current Audeze Sine closed-backs.

Finally, just going by the comments on certain forums, it would appear Hifiman's QC is a bit of a concern. Obviously, I wouldn't want to import a pair of headphones that isnt going to last, as it would most likley be a massive headache to return them. Would you say the negative rep is overhyped or justified?

Thanks in advance!
Audio Noob