AVR / Speaker Upgrade Advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, looking for a little guidance.

I'm planning an upgrade to my small HT setup (distance from the fronts to the rears is 3.2m):

Front.jpg

First thing I'm planning on doing is adding another SPL Ultra to alongside the left front speaker. I'm also considering upgrading the fronts to a pair of XQ20s.

Now what I'm wondering is should I upgrade my reciever? I currently have an Onkyo 705 which has worked well for my current configuration. The XQs are no more demanding in terms of power than my current IQ3s and of course the subs have their own amplification. Still I'm considering upgrading to an Onkyo 1007.

Chief reasons being the extra grunt for the XQs (which I hope will bring an appreciable difference in SQ) as well as the dual independent subwoofer outputs. Now this is a bit of a long term plan and obviously not cheap but I'm asking now as the 1007 is being taken off the market soon and it's replacement doesn't offer the feautures I'm looking for.

So my question to you is do you think upgrading the reciever will make a big difference, or in your opinion would the gains be negligible? I kind of don't want to spend the extra money but I also want to get the best out of my gear.