Philips TX1 - VERY surprising budget IEM's

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenflare

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Note: I haven't posted in a while. This entire year has been absolutely insane with the impending birth of my first child basically overtaking everything else. She's out and healthy and all, but things have only really calmed down a week or two ago. Hopefully I can get back in the swing in 2019.

Anyway, short review time...

I recently came across the Philips TX1's on Loot by chance. They looked interesting (they are open or semi open - not sure which) and cost just over R300 which is right up my alley.

I did some research and found that Innerfidelity actually highly recommended these IEM's back in 2014. (https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/good-sound-low-cost-philips-tx1-and-tx2-iems) I pulled the trigger.

Now bear in mind, I have never really been a fan of in-ears. My experience of course, was limited to VE Monks, whatever would come with my phone or DAP, so I have never given them a fair crack. I have also always found them to be uncomfortable, claustrophobic, and I prefer headphones as a value proposition anyway. Feel free to ignore everything I say.

Back to the TX1's, I really didn't anticipate these to be anything other than something useable when my HD6XX's were out of reach. I figured I could leave them in my car as a boredom killer on long shopping trips or whatever and that even with the Innerfidelity stamp of approval, they would only be competent due to cheapness.

I'm pleased to report these do punch above their weight and their price range and then some, offering comfort, clarity, detail retrieval, and an exciting non-muddy low end I haven't experienced in an in-ear before.  Most surprisingly however, is how airy and big these sound across the genre spectrum. I can even see myself using these for gaming and film instead of my M1060's because I will gain so much in terms of imaging and soundstage.

Of course, they won't see my modded M1060's removed from rotation completely. They aren't miracles. But they do offer a lot of that missing fun and magic when I'm in a mall, a train, or a park and can't bring planar magnetic headphones with me. Portability is always a compromise and these compromise just enough for me.

I know this post isn't going to break ground in these parts and that my experience in the medium ain't worth jack, but it was nice to find a true surprise package and I feel I have to share it. I definitely recommend these to everyone as a real budget option. I prefer them immensely over the far more successful and revered VE Monk.

Furthermore I have added iSine's and Campfire's to my wishlist as a result of taking a low risk punt on these. Discovery is what I love most about this hobby.
88857eac29ad3d74fdaf4269e6ff2ab6.jpg

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk