Author Topic: Windows 10 - 1809  (Read 471 times)

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Windows 10 - 1809
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
So last night my home PC ungraded from 1803 to 1809, it took hours to do so but so far I see a big improvement. I have been using Firefox as a web browser since it first came out but since the previous major MS update some 5-6 months ago, I had problems with FF freezing on random sites. Tried Chrome, didn't like it because I consider it a resource hog, but it also froze randomly. I have been using Opera browser for a while now and it worked perfectly every time.

I upgraded my Office PC to 1809 this morning as well, this time the upgrade was a lot quicker than with my home PC and it appears that the FF problems - which I also experienced on the office PC - seem to have disappeared. Firefox on both machines is working perfectly so far, same version FF, I never deleted and re-installed it. So whatever MS broke in 1803, they appear to have fixed in 1809.

Anyone else completed the upgrade?

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Windows 10 - 1809
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 11:18:36 PM »
Yip, to Linux...back in 1995.  :P
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »
^^ My sympathies...   :point:

Tried Linux a couple of times, Mint, Ubuntu, whatever, but could never come to grips with it. Their command line stuff leaves me doubting my sanit, sudo this, sudo that.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »
I would not use the word "big".  Windows 10 is better than its predecessors, that is for sure.  Each time it is getting closer and closer to Mac OS
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:26:27 AM »
We've updated 3 x desktops & 3 x laptops at home to 1809, no issues.

I really do not understand the animosity towards windows, it is a functional OS that works for 90% of the population. I think it is akin to the android vs apple folk.

I too tried Linux, both Ubuntu & Redhat, had no issues with the OS, but drivers were a problem for printers & graphics cards. Plus, a huge negative for me, was the fact that Excel did not function, and the Libreoffice equivalent (Calc) was useless to run macros & DCF spreadsheets with links into the Nedbank database to extract information. It could not provide the functionality we already had in Excel, so I dumped it as a bad idea.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Wim

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 08:39:13 AM »
We've updated 3 x desktops & 3 x laptops at home to 1809, no issues.

I really do not understand the animosity towards windows, it is a functional OS that works for 90% of the population. I think it is akin to the android vs apple folk.
Same here. 2 laptops and a desktop, running like clockwork now. Win 10 was buggy on the initial release (like all of its predecessors on initial release) but once they sort out the nityy gritties it works well.

However, if I have to choose a device for my ageing mother it will be Apple for sure. She has an Ipad. Much less "user interventions" required to make something work, and explaining how to fix stuff over the phone if it does not work is impossible if you are not a bit computer savvy.

That saying of Apple products works like Apple wants it to work, and PC's work like YOU want it to work rings true. Horses for courses.

Offline Merlin-HD

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »
Windows 10 is spyware lol .. use Linux for internet and windows for games and run your steam in offline mode and also try to avoid online only games.

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »
Windows 10 is spyware lol .. use Linux for internet and windows for games and run your steam in offline mode and also try to avoid online only games.

*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline oNyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • League of Legends
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:20:48 AM »
Mine is still on 1803.

Probably blocked something after running W10Privacy.
"Knowledge through... disintegration." - Vel'Koz