Adventures in SET land

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mars

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi All,
I thought I'd give an update of where I am at with SET amps. About a year ago I built a 807 triode SE for a client, and he came back to me asking: "can you make it better?"

First thought was OPT upgrade, PSU upgrade, stepped attenuator and connectors. But something came up. Another client asked me to develop an interstage transformer to drive an output tube in a SE amplifier.

After going through everything I could find on the internet, I returned to Babani, made a decision, and started rolling. The first attempt took 3 days to roll and sounded terrible. And then it developed a short circuit.  Next attempt was much better.... we'll so much better than anything I've heard, that I immediately rolled another one to listen to on my test amplifier.

I assumed bass would be sacrificed (not true, it just takes time to run in) and that volume would be compromised (not true either).

So the IT option was added to the upgrade. The 807 was replaced by a 6V6G in triode mode (using 6V6GT in the photo). Here is the result

IMG-20181210-WA0002 by Karel Mars, on Flickr

stepped attenuator

IMG_20181210_130658 by Karel Mars, on Flickr

RCA

IMG_20181210_130729 by Karel Mars, on Flickr