Proudly South African

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
THE SUM IS GREATER THAN THE PARTS

About two years ago we moved house, which presented me with the opportunity start from scratch building a AV/Hi-Fi system. Whilst doing some research I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this web site. No only has this site been invaluable in assisting me in my pursuit for audio nirvana, but I have been fortunate enough to make acquaintance with many fantastic and fascinating people who not only share my passion but are willing to go the extra mile to share their experiences and knowledge. Although there are many great talents on this web site, I would like to share with you my dealings with two such individuals (and their pruducts) who have greatly assisted me on my road to the audio nirvana we pursue relentlessly.

The first gentleman, who needs no introduction as he already holds almost iconic status in the audio industry, is Schalk Havenga and the second is Mr. Andre Hanekom of Blue Angel Audio. I am privileged to have acquired analogue front end components from these two distinguished gentleman in the form of the aptly named Whisper phono stage from Valve Audio and a Mantis phono cartridge from Blue Angel Audio.  

The Whisper is a superbly well constructed piece of equipment with a solid 22mm thick aluminium faceplate. Its size and weight alone are enough to intimidate most opposition into submission. It allows for impedance matching from 12.5 -1000 as well as 47k for MM cartridges. The phono stage allows for both single ended RCA and balanced XLR inputs as well as single ended and balanced outputs (with about 62db gain if I am not mistaken).

Herewith two pics of the Whisper.

TBC

Attachments

• 10 Oct 2010 003.JPG
    10 Oct 2010 003.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 10 Oct 2010 009.JPG
    10 Oct 2010 009.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 182