Author Topic: Get in the ring- Digital vs Analog  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
Re: Get in the ring- Digital vs Analog
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 01:35:03 PM »
Letís get right down to it. What does analogue mean? Itís a word used so much, by so many, so come on. Define it.
When you understand the meaning of the word, you cannot argue that digital sound reproduction is anything other than an analogue technique.
Go on, go look it up.

What we are really discussing, is mechanical sound reproduction vs electronic.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:42:02 PM by Tzs503gp »

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
In audio terms, the movement of a stylus is amplified and processed to create an audio signal from a loudspeaker

The amplitude of the stylus movement is directly proportional to the movement of the speaker cone, leaving out such artifacts as RIAA correction

Digital audio is a representation of an analog audio signal used by computers and digital devices to record and playback sound. Similar to the frames of a video, digital audio is made up of a series of samples which recreate a sound when played back in sequence.
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
SIGH ...

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
^^^ ?  Getting confused or wish the discussion were ended?
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
I suspect heís just tired of all the misinformation sprouted as though it were gospel.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online naughty

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »
No, digital is ones and zeroes, that is not reality, on all other points I agree with You Naughty, the most important in this matter is that people listen to music, I just enjoy beeing a grumpy old man, (and how do You think I find all new artists, endless travels around the globe purchasing LP:s or this pc that I communicate with You friends through?)

Ingvar

actually - the 1 and 0 is just a representation of two different states .... and these are on and off which is a natural state for most things to be in .... if you look at a CD player - its just a unifunctional computer and there is a precedence in nature for how a computer works - its called a human brain

a computer just works a little more simply because it works in those two states ie on or off and the human brain is a bit more complicated because it is capable of more states ie the equivalent of 10 from what i have read somewhere but simply put bits are not just 1s and 0s because thats just a way of naming the on and off states that those bits use to work

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
Every time I see a thread like this, I imagine a very similar debate happening on a car forum.... petrol vs diesel?

Point is ... there is no answer.

Offline BJ

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
Every time I see a thread like this, I imagine a very similar debate happening on a car forum.... petrol vs diesel?

Point is ... there is no answer.

Hahaha.....I am a Libra.....I have one of each :giggle:
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
actually - the 1 and 0 is just a representation of two different states .... and these are on and off which is a natural state for most things to be in .... if you look at a CD player - its just a unifunctional computer and there is a precedence in nature for how a computer works - its called a human brain

a computer just works a little more simply because it works in those two states ie on or off and the human brain is a bit more complicated because it is capable of more states ie the equivalent of 10 from what i have read somewhere but simply put bits are not just 1s and 0s because thats just a way of naming the on and off states that those bits use to work

just  realized the digi guys donít even Own decent turntables and the most of the vocal ones Own none or heard one  .., and yet all the TT guys own or have lived with some of the best digi gear as well  ... Iím going with Judy , curly and others now on this .. just

Nothing to do with the topic but
Iím sorry a bit cannot be anything else.
The CPU and AlU operates in binary only.
The assembler has not changed yet.
You represent other things , systems , codepages etc using bytes which is a collection of bits and even the modern bit configurations is just a concatenation of the basic 8 bit bytes to store the larger addresses for addressability..

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »
just  realized the digi guys donít even Own decent turntables and the most of the vocal ones Own none or heard one  .., and yet all the TT guys own or have lived with some of the best digi gear as well  ... Iím going with Judy , curly and others now on this .. just

You represent other things , systems , codepages etc using bytes which is a collection of bits and even the modern bit configurations is just a concatenation of the basic 8 bit bytes to store the larger addresses for addressability..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »

Thank You KJS, i really liked that.

That is also the core of the discussion, 0 and 1 is not reality, nothing in reality is on or off, except life, reality is blood sweat and tears and the occasional squirrel, or in Your whereabouts maybe som elephants.

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline King_Julian_S

Get in the ring- Digital vs Analog
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 08:01:37 PM »
Ingvar thatís the love of vinyl for me and I suppose the rejection of it by others.

Life has snaps and pops and I just happen to like it that way .. to be honest I prefer my very old satchmo , Ella and Shirley bassey over many clean clean records .. it gives one that 50 year ago mystical feeling my new records or discs for that music just donít carry ( I think itís called character ) .... and ofcourse these have all the oldness showing up no matter how you clean or whatever... but itís these records that make me sing along often and feel something magical ( no perfectionist expectations when they play )....

Ofcourse others prefer to sit still at calculated angles ( note digi and analogue ) and donít want to hear a needle drop when listening to their systems.

I suppose we have to respect all in the end .
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline kenvanraas

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2018, 08:20:31 PM »
^^^ A music lover uses audio equipment to listen to his/her music. An audiophile uses music to listen to his audio equipment LOL

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2018, 08:20:55 PM »
Hereís one for everybody.

I found a copy of the ĎBirdí soundtrack ie. The Clint Eastwood movie about Charlie ĎBirdí Parker the other day.  The soundtrack used original live recordings (analogue tape) and the engineers isolated Birdís sax as much as possible (some crowd noise not withstanding), then they recorded a new backing band (who featured in the film alongside an actor playing along who was not recorded). All put together, itís an analogue/digital surprise and sounds great on vinyl!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:23:18 PM by JonnyP »
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline AudioMule

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
In the current world of music, very few records are pure analog, from tracking, mixing which is now In the box with fusion of outboard gear...... one day after I own a TT I will come back to this thread and have a say.

But most records if not all undergo a conversion at some point AD and DA.... well I enjoyed this read

https://vintageking.com/blog/2018/11/aes-afterglow-2018/
There's nothing wrong with your system, you are just listening to wrong music on it.