Interesting find comparing AVR trim to sub volume adjustment

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I always make sure that the AVR level settings are in the negative figures (if I can't hit 0). Though with my most recent receiver the minimum volume at which I can set the subs without the AVR having to increase the volume during autocal results in a pretty significant volume reduction of -9.5 and -7.5 for the left and right subs respectively - which from my understanding shouldn't be a problem (volume setting on the subs is at a quarter at this point).

Yesterday I found myself thinking about this and thought I'd play around with the volume. I took a measurement of the system as is, then I set the levels for the sub on the AVR to 0, then turned down the volume on the subs themselves until their readings corresponded to those of the AVR's settings.

I then compared them measured together with my initial reading:

MXsJaW7.png

So that worked out well enough. Then I took a look at the spectrogram and waterfall charts - setting the volume on the subs and leaving the AVR at neutral seems to have had an unexpectedly positive effect:

AVR Volume Control
WEXUkIf.png
8C60Ab9.png

Sub Volume Control
nIiyBvt.png
mbLRidO.png

Any thoughts as to why this might be?