Author Topic: Can't resist avo's  (Read 721 times)

Offline Des Miles

Can't resist avo's
« on: November 12, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
Nope not the green ones, the big black "Universal AVO Multimeter". Popped into local auction house the other day, saw this one up for auction and could not resist bidding on it, got it for R180-00! It's a model 8. All functions still working perfectly. The build quality of these meters is excellent and they were highly regarded in the electronic industry in the 60's. Can't compete for ease of use with todays digital meters, but, on occasion, I still get a kick out of using one!

This is number six in my collection!

I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!

Offline King_Julian_S

Re: Can't resist avo's
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 09:24:04 PM »
I am hooked on the green ones
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Wim

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:33:48 PM »
60's!? They are specified till today in some aircraft component maintenance manuals as part of the "special tools" required. We still have a Metrology lab that calibrates them for the workshops. Isn't there a saying that goes something like "If it ain't broke don't fix it"? You can instantly see switching and works like a charm on any analogue circuit. I loved using AVO's! Sometimes the old Fluke just had to take a step back and go.....  :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 06:24:07 AM »
Good find, Des! I am blessed with 2 model 8s and one model 7 in mint condition. Finding a 15v battery is probably impossible although I suppose one can make some sort of a plan.

And I also love the green ones :)

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »
There is something special about those damped meter movements. Many years ago I worked with a product that had a characteristically noisy output. The damped movement of the analogue meter (FET input) we used had just the right averaging function to give a representative mean reading when calibrating the product. When that meter got stolen, replacement cost was prohibitive, so we had to make do with a Fluke DMM; required some operator skill to judge the average value. I tried installing an electronic averaging circuit, but could never satisfactorily emulate the action of the analogue meter.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline charles

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »
Agree, it is a good find Des.

I have two of these type of AVO's, one is also in a mint condition.   

One can use some 3 Volt lithium batteries in series to obtain 15 volt.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
Yes you can.

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »
Even during the time that I worked for The Balco Company the Avo and Megger agents.

I could not afford a model 8.

There’s no such thing as the past, it exists only in the memory. There’s no such thing as the future, it exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate the only thing they would ever say is now.”
― Damien Echols, Life After Death

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 09:08:07 PM »
.sAgree, really like those, allmost indestructible, devices, just as I will never replace my Techtronix 500 kit, one 15 MHz scope, two DVM:s and one frequency counter all in one with internal switchable signal distribution so You can read the same signal on all instruments with one probe.

Introduced in 1972 they still work flawlessly, as everything Techtronics, and are a dream to use compared with modern digital scopes.

This is not mine but the same type but other plug in modules than those I use except the scope.

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline Des Miles

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 10:59:53 PM »
^^^^^
Can't agree more! Techtronix in my opinion is one of the best makers of test gear, better than HP, Rohde & Schwartz and Motorola. What you have there is brilliant. I would be happy with just the frequency counter and scope function.

F_D if you read this, what is the best now days (in other words what are you using now?} for two-way radio coms maintenance. When I left Telkom maritime radio services, IFR was what we had to use, not the most reliable, used to refer to them as In For Repairs!
I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 06:11:33 AM »
Des,

We have a Motorola Systems Analyser (forget the model now, might be a R2660) that features Spectrum Analyser as well. Then an older Motorola R2001 and two Marconi Communications Monitors. As we were originally part of Motorola SA back in the day, I stuck to them for test equipment as well, although it was a toss-up at the time between the Motorola SA and the HP one. In retrospect, I should probably have rather gone with HP but the Motorola has stood its ground nicely and the only spot of bother was caused by a lightning strike several years ago. Small glitch, and it was repaired promptly.

Prior to this many moons ago were a couple of Cushmans, CE-5 & CE-6.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline charles

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »
I still use a 500 series TEK Audio Distortion Analyzer with a TEK audio generator on a regular basis.