Author Topic: Old Philips Speakers  (Read 1244 times)

Offline PJFourie

Old Philips Speakers
« on: December 04, 2018, 06:02:03 AM »
I found these old speakers in my Grandmothers garage. I dont see a model number, but Im sure theyre quite old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Michon

Re: Old Philips Speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:38:20 AM »
@Steerpike may know the model number of the speaker.

The transducers are Philips AD8080, as printed on the back of the magnet.

Offline PJFourie

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:51:38 AM »

6W
8 ohm
Fs - 75Hz
Frequency range is 55-18000 Hz

Offline PJFourie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:53:36 AM »
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_ad8080m8.html

Offline PJFourie

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 06:55:08 AM »
Year: Looks like +- 1973

Offline PJFourie

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »
@Steerpike may know the model number of the speaker.

The transducers are Philips AD8080, as printed on the back of the magnet.

Thank you Michon. You know too much

Online Michon

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 08:00:28 AM »
You're welcome.

My knowledge on Philips equipment has many gaps. I have a pair of AD8080 drivers too that may receive cabinets one day.

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »
Nice ones!

Offline PJFourie

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
Will these work in open baffle together with 12 or 15 inch LF driver?

Online Michon

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 10:38:43 AM »

With an appropriate filter network between the two drivers it likely will.

@Curlycat has an open baffle loudspeaker using Philips drivers.

Offline bearenzo

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »

Should work, but AD8080 is one of their cheaply made full range speakers ( had a pair many years ago , around R400/p )
They sound OK, but not great. If I were you, I'll get a pair of AD9710 for the open baffle design.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
I dunno - those magnets looks small, so correct me if I am wrong, that would translate into a low QTS driver. Normally low QTS drivers (below 0.5) are not advisable for open baffle. You want something with a strong driver that can stop the driver movement in lieu of no enclosure assisting with cone resistance travel.

The nice thing about open baffle is it's easy to try them on a plankie to see how they perform. 8" drivers should make for a nice "full" sound. I would give them I try... who knows... though I am not betting on it  >:D

The Philips 9710 will make a good OB.

At the end of the day, experiment, learn and enjoy. When you arrive at the stage where you smile as a result of your efforts, it is very rewarding. You have to crawl before you can run.

Assisting them with a 12 or a 15 would definitely be advisable yes. I would not do it without it.
Something like the Hybrid series 12 or 15" would be a nice driver to use in an OB design.
https://www.soundselect.co.za/hybrid-12h200c-loose-speaker
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:41:38 PM by Curlycat »
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is. Alan Watts

Offline El Sid

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 12:52:43 AM »
For what it's worth, here is a video of a pair of these. PHILIPS AD8080/M8 70's Vintage FullRange speakers in original Enclosures!

I do find it amusing when guys record their megabuck system on the phone and post it on Youtube - it's come through the crappy mic on the phone into the even crappier phone ADC, been compressed, and then replayed though whatever system the viewer has. You are then meant to be able to notice the "bass slam" or whatever it is they're trying to demonstrate

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 01:42:09 AM »
The AD8080 originally had alnico magnets in a choice of 2 sizes, then later they went to ferrite, as you have.

Online Michon

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 07:16:47 AM »
Normally low QTS drivers (below 0.5) are not advisable for open baffle. You want something with a strong driver that can stop the driver movement in lieu of no enclosure assisting with cone resistance travel.

The Q parameters are measurements related to the control of a transducer’s suspension when it reaches the resonant frequency (Fs). (source: https://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/).

As I read and understand it an appropriate enclosure will compliment a transducer with low Qts' suspension at the Fs, however the suspension can do without that enclosure at frequencies higher than the Fs.

If he is going to cross to the 15" woofer at double the Fs or higher then the Qts of his drivers need not be an issue. An example of this would be GECO's open baffle and the Linkwitz Orion design which use mids with Qts of 0.36 and 0.34 respectively.

I read a few articles by the designer of Lampizator which documented a series DIY open baffle builds of his. If I recall correctly he stated there that contrary to popular opinion he prefers to use low Qts drivers (even as woofers and down to Fs) in open baffle builds. I am not necessarily endorsing his view on this but simply mentioning that some choose not adhere to the suggestion in certain designs. I do not have any experience with this.

The Philips 9710 will make a good OB.

I would like to have a pair of these too in the future.

Here is a pair of 10" Philips drivers for sale on the forum:
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,74549.0.html
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:19:19 AM by Michon »