Author Topic: AVR Settings from Micro Server  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Kshah

AVR Settings from Micro Server
« on: December 03, 2018, 01:35:58 PM »
HI guys a little bit of a noob question:

I have an Integra DTR50.4 AVR - this is not 4k but can do 4k pass through @ 30fps.

I am using a HP Proliant Gen8 microserver with a Nvida GeForce Gt130 with 2gigs ram via HDMI as a source. All of this on a 50" series 6 samung 4k tv - nothing fancy.

The challenges i am having are thus:

From HP to TV no problem - shows signal as 4k.

From HP to AVR to TV, only see picture if you turn on Samsung UHD colour else nothing.

If UHD Colour is activated, then one sees resolution at 1080P 60fps.

I am unsure what the setting should be for the sound setup - on the server I have it configured for 5.1 (Yes i know blue collar :flame:) as well as on Kodi.

I am not sure what the setting should be on the receiver - it have various settings, e.g mono, direct, straight decode etc.

Ideally i am looking to get the best sound transfer from the server to amp for processing to the speakers - if that makes sense? Just like if you would connect your bluray.

Any assistance will be apprecaited.

Shah

Online naughty

Re: AVR Settings from Micro Server
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
just one quick question for you - when we had that get together at your place to compare DACs and AMPs you had the setup connected to another TV from your kitchen - does the same thing happen with that TV ie the card not recognizing the EDID of the TV via the AVR - or does the audio etc all start recognizing properly with the kitchen TV connected

if the latter is the case then its the EDID settings of the TV that is a problem and when you purchase a newer TV it will probably work better and recognize properly .... i do have one other solution that we can try (probably in the weekend or when you have some spare time which is to remove the graphics driver and reinstall it while connected to the Samsung TV via the AVR and hopefully during the reinstall it will pick up and recognize the TV better - alternatively to leave out using the driver from the graphics card CD ... which is what i used when installing windows on your microserver and downloading the latest NVIDIA drivers from the website and using those and these may work a bit better since the drivers on the CD were obviously printed when the card was designed which could have been a very long time ago) - failing that you may have to just try the AVR and Server in conjunction with the TV you intend to purchase for that room

Online Audioholic

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »

From HP to AVR to TV, only see picture if you turn on Samsung UHD colour else nothing.

Glad you brought this issue up K. I'm experiencing a similar issue with my new Onkyo receiver. If i turn 'UHD Colour' setting off on TV, then only does the sound come through. This was not an issue on my older AVR (now 5-6 years old) where it passes through the sound with the UHD setting 'ON'.

I'll be following this thread to understand what the problem could be.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:27:38 AM by Audioholic »
Stereo: Pioneer, pioneer and more pioneer, Sonor Audio, Denon, Audiolab
HT: Onkyo, Energy, Velodyne

Online Audioholic

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »
From HP to TV no problem - shows signal as 4k.

Any luck with solving this issue Mr. Shah?

Offline Kshah

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
@Audioholic

Unfortunately not 100%

I have updated the firmware on the amp, as well as the bios on the server and installed new drivers.

I am able to get sound correctly as it were via the gfx card.

But still have to have the UHD colour on as an option on the TV to get videa via the AVR - then too it is only 1080P which is the maximum the the server will allow. (this is not a problem connecting directly to TV - then i get 4k 60fps)

I need to check further with the speeds of the HDMI cables, as i have read somewhere this could be  a challenge.

I also know that the TV's have HDMI ports that are differently capable - theres a guy from CT who bought an Oppo 203 and was having the similar issues. It turned out the TV could only do 4k on one HDMI only
Shah

Offline Anton

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »
You need to have hdmi 2.0 cables
The gpu in your microserver does not support hdmi 2
From gt 1030 onward but I would rather go for the 1050ti 4gb
If you connect it like that and only get 4k 30hz you must use the other hdmi input of your tv , the one that is not arc

Online naughty

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
You need to have hdmi 2.0 cables
The gpu in your microserver does not support hdmi 2
From gt 1030 onward but I would rather go for the 1050ti 4gb
If you connect it like that and only get 4k 30hz you must use the other hdmi input of your tv , the one that is not arc

HDMI 2.0 cables?

https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/

ANY resolutions or standard numbers/names printed on HDMI cables are all nonsensical - maybe you are referring to "ultra high speed" cables which is a new thing but any cable with a resolution or HDMI standard number on it makes me think that the manufacturer is fraudulent.

As for a GT1050ti - where pray will you get a low profile one which has a low TDP that will even fit in a microserver?
If he has to use a GT1050Ti then he has to move away from a microserver and use a much higher spec ordinary PC which is going to cost an arm and a leg.

there is something else afoot here - maybe the AVR only supports 4k at 30hz? and not at 60hz as required .... and yes the graphics card is not ideal because anything with less than 4GB of ram wont support HDR, but HDR is not the issue here - its just a matter of the resolution and the 1030 should easily do 4k resolution

I also know that the TV's have HDMI ports that are differently capable - theres a guy from CT who bought an Oppo 203 and was having the similar issues. It turned out the TV could only do 4k on one HDMI only

this could be an issue

@Kshah  .... there is another one more solution that we could try - if we use an HDMI splitter then use on cable  pass the video directly to your TV and then use a second cable to connect to the AVR but use that second cable only for audio - im sure you have enough HDMI cables at the moment 

in theory this should give you the resolution that you get directly to the TV as well as still pass the audio via the AVR so you still get HD audio etc - and i have a splitter we can use to try it out, and since im not using the splitter anymore if it works then you can keep it
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:54:20 PM by naughty »

Offline Anton

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »
HDMI 2.0 itself isn’t really about resolution, though, but bandwidth. More bandwidth is what makes all of its new standards possible. HDMI 2.0 systems can transfer data at up to 18Gbps, up from 10.2Gbps in HDMI 1.4.
In terms we’re all more likely to get on with, 18Gbps is 2,250MB a second. For a little more context, normal Blu-rays max out at 54Mbps, or 6.75MB per second. The HDMI pipe is wider than a dual carriageway.

I am just trying to help , also had a microserver with a gt1030 and things just did not work nice
The problem with most gt1030 or mine was that it have only 2gb of vram which is not enough
Yes i know the problem with a microserver is the gpu size , i do not use a microserver anymore just a small cooler master htpc case so that is why i could install a 1050ti with 4gb ram

When i got my Gpu my display was 4K resolution but at 30Hz , so i read somewhere that you must use the other hdmi input and it worked for me to get 60Hz
My amplifier : Yamaha Rx-A1030 is on passthrough and it works perfectly with 4K
The other problem with Kodi is if  you play a 4K file the dts-master audio and true hd is not working , it is a issue they know of and hopefully fix it
You must also enable your HDR if your screen support it in windows , hopefully windows 10  -- Settings , Apps , Video Playback
I Agree with the hdmi cables but i am not going to struggle with something and in my head allways think that it is the cables that is giving me the issues , so to cancel that out i got the latest hdmi cables

Offline Anton

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
You Are welcome to buy my Zotac Gt1030 low profile , it is still under warranty from Takealot and like new condition
Fits perfectly in a Microserver

Do you have the Latest firmware for your Integra DTR50.4 AVR ??

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:56:26 PM by Anton »

Online naughty

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 11:27:25 PM »
You Are welcome to buy my Zotac Gt1030 low profile , it is still under warranty from Takealot and like new condition
Fits perfectly in a Microserver

Do you have the Latest firmware for your Integra DTR50.4 AVR ??

appreciate the help and Im pretty sure Kshah does also .... and thanks for the headsup about the issues with Kodi and 4k with HD audio ... we were not aware of it so definitely something to look out for

Also he does already have a GT1030 low profile which fits in the microserver  ;)

and to be honest it doesnt seem to be the cables because its working properly as it is supposed to when connected directly to the TV but not when connected via the AVR - so its probably something to do with the AVR - which is why i suggest trying to bypass the AVR for the video bit of it

and yes you do need more than 4 gigs of ram for HDR to work but just normal 4k resolution with older color standards should work - and its not (via the AVR) and its working directly to the TV from the microserver .... so once again it eems like the problem lies in the AVR and it not recognizing something properly either from the TV or from the microserver

Offline Kshah

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
@Anton and @naughty  thank you for your invaluable insights and inputs.

I will be trying the different options in the coming week when I am on leave.

Ill start checking the cables and work via process of elimination.

I have upgraded the firmware on the AVR, as well as the drivers on the gt1030.

At this moment i am not too concerned about HDR but will be considering it in due course, I think i need to first get the solution working properly be it 1080P then I will consider other options.

I am wondereing whether i ought to flog my Integra and buy a more current AVR maybe like the Denon AVR X2400 which is being knocked down at the moment.

Will just wait and see what shakes out.
Shah

Online Audioholic

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »
Thanks man :thumbs:
According to the Denon link, the cables must be 18Gbps for the system to work. The AQ cable i'm using between the AVR and TV is all the way back from 2011 (which, if i googled correctly, will NOT be later than a version 1.4). So, only anomaly on my system is the cable. Maybe i'll spoil myself this Christmas with a 18Gbps cable and see what happens  :giggle:

Good luck with resolving it on your end. Let us know when solved.

Offline Kshah

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 07:58:08 PM »
Hey buddy... I am no expert, but I wouldnt go splurging on a fancy cable without borrowing and testing one first.

A mate of mine bought ProLink from Govan Mani in Durban and was very impressed. He also has AQ Pearl cables.

Same dude bought  a Unitek cable from Mitabyte in Durban even cheaper and is suitably impressed.

Guys on other threads swear by Lindy brand available on takealot.

Rather borrow or buy on the cheap before splurging - just my 2 cents
Shah