3 (4.9%)
20+ years
28 (45.9%)
No longer actively listen to records
11 (18%)
Iíve never really gotten into records
6 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Are LPs Dead  (Read 5571 times)

Offline BJ

Re: Are LPs Dead
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
Like Tobes....the Sun has set.....so sorry....
No Breathtaking views tonight of Cape Town....

But inside....Man it's Cooking

Jennifer Warnes...Famous Blue Raincoat on 45 RPM...

Music just doesn't get any better than this on any format.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:35:25 PM by BJ »
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »
Like Tobes....the Sun has set.....so sorry....
No Breathing views tonight....

But inside....Man it's Cooking

Jennifer Warnes...Famous Blue Raincoat on 45 RPM...

Music just doesn't get any better than this on any format.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
8 ^^^^^ 🤤 game over
Non audiophile music lover...

Online FranZAR

« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »
The Truth About Vinyl - Vinyl vs. Digital:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzRvSWPZQYk
Can someone explain what that vibrating thingy in the counterweight is somewhere around the 4:30min mark?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:34:17 PM by FranZAR »
Exclame 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sumiko Pearwood|Vivere|Sonor Claro
Yamaha RX-A2050|Panasonic 65"|MA Silver 200|MA Silver C150|Polk RC60i

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2018, 03:52:32 AM »
The truth

Fortunately, that diagram is just not accurate. Not even close.  D-A converters do not produce staircase outputs, they would need infinite bandwidth to do so. And they are always followed in circuit by a reconstruction filter which makes the output as smooth as the analogue signal that went into the A-D converter to begin with.

Online Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
Fortunately, that diagram is just not accurate. Not even close.  D-A converters do not produce staircase outputs, they would need infinite bandwidth to do so. And they are always followed in circuit by a reconstruction filter which makes the output as smooth as the analogue signal that went into the A-D converter to begin with.

Thank you Steerpike

In addition to what youíve pointed out, bear in mind the final output device. The speaker. If the wave coming from the amplifier, looked like the one representing the digital output in the illustration above, then you would have a high frequency square wave tone over the musical content, coming from your speaker.

Even posting an illustration like the one above, is an insult to this forum and itís members. This is a Hifi forum. We know and care about how sound is reproduced. Trolls expose themselves by posting BS, for the sake of argument.
ScanSpeak 👍🏻

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2018, 09:45:08 AM »
This is a Hifi forum. We know and care about how sound is reproduced. Trolls expose themselves by posting BS, for the sake of argument.
You'd be surprised at some of the gobbledygook that's been discussed here.  In this particular case I'm inclined to ascribe it to innate stupidity.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2018, 10:07:14 AM »
^^That is absolutely unnecessary.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Katji

« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »
Good video that, he explains very well.   :thumbs: 

...I think some of it is like internet myths.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:09:34 AM by Katji »

Offline King_Julian_S

Are LPs Dead
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
^^That is absolutely unnecessary.
and itís not the first time yet I was reprimanded a few times for not even a quarter of that... , but fortunately I understood that I have to keep my mouth shut against members with short fuses and I agreed to consider that some are like that and give them special treatment and not instigate etc... and I understand why the mods mentioned this so I will comply..

I also know RJís opinion on vinyl , so trust me I just donít take his opinions on analogue serious at all .

sadly my post explaining exactly what the video and steerpike is saying in a more ďproperĒ manner ďwas also deletedĒ ...and  sadly so ,,, cause that added the context to the graphs in how the bits and bites fill some of the area and it gave some clarity around the graphs trying to explain that it is not that seriously impacted after conversion and samples etc..

And calling the graphs an insult but agreeing with the video is just mind boggling.
What is that video showing you at 5.10 ?
Iíd argue that itís exactly what I was saying with the graph and that deleted post I mentioned.
Let me see how long before this post is deleted 🤞🏽

Anyway point 8 above still stands and fortunately not deleted
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:08:19 PM by King_Julian_S »
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2018, 04:44:06 PM »
@RJ..... correct me if I am wrong but why YOU been involved in importing Music Hall Turntables? I only can speak for myself but truly in +30 years I only touched, imported and sold to others what I truly love. Thats maybe why I never sold insurances, been a broker or sold firearms....

@Tzs503gp ...I think you behave and express yourself  like a hooligan here ..sorry. I dont get your aggressions...
I checked on your profile and dont know if YG speakers in combination with NAD electronic is still your actual system - but I allow myself to ask myself with who I/we are discussing about turntables here. Get your basics done ...you have great speakers with great potential... ;)

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline 2wice

« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »
If the wave coming from the amplifier, looked like the one representing the digital output in the illustration above, then you would have a high frequency square wave tone over the musical content, coming from your speaker.

What gobbledygook is this, I don't think you understand waveforms.

Online Tzs503gp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »
@RJ..... correct me if I am wrong but why YOU been involved in importing Music Hall Turntables? I only can speak for myself but truly in +30 years I only touched, imported and sold to others what I truly love. Thats maybe why I never sold insurances, been a broker or sold firearms....

@Tzs503gp ...I think you behave and express yourself  like a hooligan here ..sorry. I dont get your aggressions...
I checked on your profile and dont know if YG speakers in combination with NAD electronic is still your actual system - but I allow myself to ask myself with who I/we are discussing about turntables here. Get your basics done ...you have great speakers with great potential... ;)

My friend, the shoe fits.

Iíve never once in this thread, knocked turntables, or LPs for that matter. Iíve simply stated that theyíre not for me. Go back and read again.
Potential implies directivity. Directivity, is a matter of perspective.
I have mine, you have yours.
ScanSpeak 👍🏻

Online Tzs503gp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
What gobbledygook is this, I don't think you understand waveforms.

Yeah? What would such a waveform sound like?
ScanSpeak 👍🏻

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2018, 06:07:44 PM »
@RJ..... correct me if I am wrong but why YOU been involved in importing Music Hall Turntables?

Why not?  Doesn't mean I have to love LP's, you sell DACs too...so what?

I've no gripe with LP's, TT's etc. it's just not for me.  Folks can discuss the relative merits all they like, but I draw the line when fools sprout bullshit like step ladder waveforms being their take on reconstruction of an analog signal coming out of a DAC.  It's ignorance and stupidity in the extreme and serves no purpose other than to perpetuate bull.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:21:04 PM by Rotten Johnny »
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »
Yeah? What would such a waveform sound like?
You would probably not be able to hear a difference at all.