3 (4.9%)
20+ years
28 (45.9%)
No longer actively listen to records
11 (18%)
Iíve never really gotten into records
6 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Are LPs Dead  (Read 5302 times)

Offline King_Julian_S

Are LPs Dead
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2018, 11:24:30 PM »
Ben; I had a TT from about 1983 to about 1992. I listened to tapes too(mostly in my car). I then bought a CD player due to the fact that we were promised superior sound. It was the new "modern" thing. I then started replacing all my records with Cds. I used to compare the LP with the CD. To me they sounded equally good; I couldn't hear any difference. As to the snap, crackle pop that can occur with records; only when they are dirty. A clean record, certainly a new one has non of that. A record is so much more delicate than a cd; one slip can result in a scratch which absolutely ruins the record. A CD cannot have the snap,crackle and pop(which I hated hearing ) so this and the more resilient nature of the CD won me over. You have to clean records but not CDs, so more effort and care is needed with records.

I will never go back the records due to the cost of buying a good TT, phono stage and buying records; not because I think records are dead. How can they be dead when they are still been pressed.

I have no interest in streaming what so ever. Not to mention more cost in setting that up.

I will continue buying Cds. By the time they may stop making them, I should have many of them, so I need not worry.
Stan I hear you and respect your choice ,,, However for interest sake , I read somewhere that Vinyls can last longer than CDís if you look after them. There was some story of a CD library where the CDís was deteriorating over time I.e. their lifespan is shorter. Itís called cd rot ..
I quote from this research article :

ď"They just made the move because they thought anything that was digital, anything that was electronic, was going to be far superior to anything from the past," Harper says. "And it turns out that that was indeed wrong.Ē

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2014/08/18/340716269/how-long-do-cds-last-it-depends-but-definitely-not-forever

The other thing is that if you scratch a vinyl to make an audible impact if needs to be an extreme scranch inside the groove else itís just surface noise that some clever people know how to restore and a decent setup will not be impacted by that .. and if really a problem one can just lift the arm over a track ... on the contrary I have to throw a cd away once scratched itís just not salvageable in most cases. Sometimes one cannot even see where the cd got scratched but it does that severe CD jumping and freezing business( perhaps this is rot cause I certainly donít have temp controlled storage etc ? ) . So it boils down to care for both mediums but seems CD has destiny where it may eventually die of rot ?
 .. see franzís post above. And I have plenty LPís older than 40 years etc that is still fine after a decent rcm clean or two .. especially the thicker ones. I even have 78ís thatís still fine.

So For me , when one compare a scratched cd to a scratched LP I will still pick the LP.
Even a tape can be spliced but not a cd ..

here I do believe streaming give advantages cause they donít scratch and u can simply restore a backup if the drive fails etc. so maybe streaming is something to consider if you are concerned about scratches etc..  and perhaps we should worry about this eventual rot and start backing up them cdís ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:35:00 PM by King_Julian_S »
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Steerpike

Re: Are LPs Dead
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2018, 01:42:29 AM »
but seems CD has destiny where it may eventually die of rot ?

You can re-sputter a CD if the aluminium layer becomes degraded.
Not something everyone can do in their garage workshop, but it is possible. (the DIY telescope people have the tools)

A limited number of discs were gold sputtered - aside from physical vandalism, they will have a very long storage life.

Offline King_Julian_S

Are LPs Dead
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2018, 06:58:49 AM »
Tx steer did not know that , still donít know what it means cost or entails & assuming if not scratched etc..
will go try read about this ..

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2018, 08:12:19 AM »
Looks like this topic is one hot topic. Just want to say my part : "Analog will stay KING "  :groovy:
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter RŲhrl)

Offline JamesB

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
Whew, took me over an hour to go through 9 pages... 9 pages, 9 freakin' pages and almost 1,700 views on day 5 from when the thread was started!!!  So what's dead again???  *MIC DROP* (I wish there was a mic drop emoji)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:27:25 PM by JamesB »

Offline BJ

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2018, 04:48:50 PM »
Whew, took me over an hour to go through 9 pages... 9 pages, 9 freakin' pages and almost 1,700 views on day 5 from when the thread was started!!!  So what's dead again???  *MIC DROP* (I wish there was a mic drop emoji)

🤣🤣🤣 I tell you, the debating got so hot, it inspired me to watch "the Great Debaters" again last night. Denzel Washington absolutely...superb😉😉

Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline El Sid

« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2018, 05:16:52 PM »
🤣🤣🤣 I tell you, the debating got so hot, it inspired me to watch "the Great Debaters" again last night. Denzel Washington absolutely...superb😉😉

This has certainly become a mass debate!  :o

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2018, 06:40:22 PM »
What a surprise, audio nerds and mass debating.... :popcorn:
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »
What a surprise, audio nerds and mass debating going round in circles.... :popcorn:
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »
So itís a circle jerk?
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
So itís a circle jerk?
seems so, and vinyl's in the centre  :ROFLMAO:
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Stanp

« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
King_Julian_S, thanks for your reply; perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I have no doubt that a LP will outlast a CD. It was a decision that I made all those years ago based on the knowledge available then. Do I regret my decision? No. I have wonderful digital sound. I am super happy with it. With the knowledge that I have now would I have kept my LP's? Yes. But when all is said and done; I am very happy with my sounds and would not swop it for analogue.

Offline itscraig

« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »
I hope that vinyl is growing and that many more LP's will be pressed and lots of new music will be on that format.
I have bought about 150 new vinyl pressings this year and hope to be able to get even more next year.
even though I stream, have CD's and data servers, i find listening to vinyl engaging

I think it has to do with mostly listening to the album the way the artist meant to tell their story

If vinyl is dead i hope that many pressings will be done before it is faded again.

on the which is better I am neutral, I love all forms of reproduction, just as I love many different types of music

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2018, 10:28:47 PM »
King_Julian_S, thanks for your reply; perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I have no doubt that a LP will outlast a CD. It was a decision that I made all those years ago based on the knowledge available then. Do I regret my decision? No. I have wonderful digital sound. I am super happy with it. With the knowledge that I have now would I have kept my LP's? Yes. But when all is said and done; I am very happy with my sounds and would not swop it for analogue.

Cool sire .
Itís an interesting thing this Rot .
I also still buy more cdís than streaming , so Ja at some point have to EAC them to flac I suppose.
Actually I think itís a good idea to just EAC my LPís and tapes as well

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »
I hope that vinyl is growing and that many more LP's will be pressed and lots of new music will be on that format.
I have bought about 150 new vinyl pressings this year and hope to be able to get even more next year.
even though I stream, have CD's and data servers, i find listening to vinyl engaging

I think it has to do with mostly listening to the album the way the artist meant to tell their story

If vinyl is dead i hope that many pressings will be done before it is faded again.

on the which is better I am neutral, I love all forms of reproduction, just as I love many different types of music
The one point us analogue passionates forget is to perhaps support this thinking and spread this rumor more that vinyl is rubbish and dying ..
imagine it starts dying itís 100th death and then prices go down again