3 (4.9%)
20+ years
28 (45.9%)
No longer actively listen to records
11 (18%)
I’ve never really gotten into records
6 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Are LPs Dead  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Katji

Re: Are LPs Dead
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »
That graph there is an example of what I referred to, re journalists trying to reinforce their story.  iow, How about including the period when records were the mainstream, before CDs came along.  It is not the mainstream.  It is a niche market comprised of hipsters and people like here on the forum.  Ask the big record companies. I'll even have another go at finding the graphs I saw last night. I thought it wasn't necessary, I thought it was quite obvious, but apparently not.

Offline Katji

« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »
...just see the statistics in the US and it says something because the US since a very long time is not a Vinly country at all. So its quite impressive and in line what some of us been saying. UK, Germany maybe shoing far more impressive figures..
USA has many hipsters but the highest per capita 100,000 is probably Germany.  But never mind hipsters, you mentioned UK...well, yes, the Drum & Bass and Jungle people like records, some still do it, the limited runs, and more than that is limited runs for the techno DJ scene.  ...And I can't see that any of that can even show in such sales graphs.

Are those graphs based on Discogs data? - Probably.

Offline Katji

« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »
^^^Katji just invented ‘Schroedinger’s Vinyl’  :EGrin: :ROFLMAO:

Dead and Alive and spinning round like a record baby, round round...

Like a record baby, right round, round round

For some reason it posted twice
Yeah, I had a glitch too.

But that made me think of something...I've got something up my sleeve...we've yet to include record "scratching" in this discussion.  :EGrin:

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2018, 08:00:55 PM »
I think one aspect why DACs doubtless sounding better and better (even it took very long) is a growing demand in better sound  quality (forget about the features).
Quality still drives us again and funny to say - call them Hipsters or "newborn Hippies" - their reference or standard as young engineers/designers or/and listeners is programmed by listening to Vinyls - good music, in good recording quality on a good system.

We underestimate lots of young people and think the analog wave its a trendy lifestyle but its the answer or the antithesis to complexity. Suddenly they look on the Cover and ARTWORK of an LP. All what happens from chosing the album, get it out of the shelf, place it on the platter and get the arm on the record is a purely analog experience.
If complicate complexity is taken out in the process of listening to music - emotions taking place, memories, dream, a smile or even tears.

THIS BESIDE A BETTER SOUND IS WHAT BRINGS THOSE YOUNGSTER BACK TO WHAT IS IMPORTANT - TO FEEL!

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
If LPs are indeed dead, I need Winston Wolfe to come clean up Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield's mess.
Exclame 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Vivere|Sonor Claro
Denon X4500H|MA Silver 200|MA Silver C150|Polk RC60i

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »
^^^Katji just invented ‘Schroedinger’s Vinyl’  :EGrin: :ROFLMAO:

Dead and Alive and spinning round like a record baby, round round...

But if it goes pop in the middle of a forest, when no ones around, is it plugged in?

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
But if it goes pop in the middle of a forest, when no ones around, is it plugged in?

Got a vinyl record to answer that question for you, it’s called ‘One Hand Clapping’ by James, it will answer all your questions about trees falling in forests, the sound of one hand clapping and what a good live album can sound like all at the same time.  The CD transfer sucks btw so I stuck to the analogue.
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2018, 08:57:58 PM »
Usually, the guys that complain, are anti vinyl, etc, do not own, have zero experience or show any interest in vinyl at all...[ some people just have it for the sake of saying that that own/owned vinyl, turntable, etc - pigeonhole it/them in whatever category you like].

Here's something to think about : if the albums you are really interested in was available today on vinyl, how many of you would be buying into it?

Achim, sorry, but you are wasting your time, spend more of your time with those whom show a genuine interest and appreciation of vinyl, like you opined.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Katji

« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »
 :D Well...  :giggle:

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »
I think one aspect why DACs doubtless sounding better and better (even it took very long) is a growing demand in better sound  quality (forget about the features).
Quality still drives us again and funny to say - call them Hipsters or "newborn Hippies" - their reference or standard as young engineers/designers or/and listeners is programmed by listening to Vinyls - good music, in good recording quality on a good system.

We underestimate lots of young people and think the analog wave its a trendy lifestyle but its the answer or the antithesis to complexity. Suddenly they look on the Cover and ARTWORK of an LP. All what happens from chosing the album, get it out of the shelf, place it on the platter and get the arm on the record is a purely analog experience.
If complicate complexity is taken out in the process of listening to music - emotions taking place, memories, dream, a smile or even tears.

THIS BESIDE A BETTER SOUND IS WHAT BRINGS THOSE YOUNGSTER BACK TO WHAT IS IMPORTANT - TO FEEL!
You saying the sound is better. Maybe we shouldn't open up that can of worms. Youngsters are all about engaging with their products and experiences. Holding a physical copy in your hand and seeing the music come to life is what we like about the process. Until you scratch a record, check your bank balance, get lazy. Vinyl isn't dead. Not by a long shot. But we won't see it ever become mainstream, despite increase in sales.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »

Are those graphs based on Discogs data? - Probably.

No, they are not. RIAA sales volumes for the US.

This link includes All the other 2nd hand dealers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenblatt/2018/09/18/vinyl-is-bigger-than-we-thought-much-bigger/#67df933a1c9c

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »
My Dad was, and still is, a big music fanatic. During the 80's, when Dion was still selling records, he bought my brother and I a record each for every birthday and Christmas. I still have all of them. They are in the same condition as the day I unwrapped them. Played often but looked after. Not a snap, crackle or pop 40+ years later.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:40:21 PM by FranZAR »
Exclame 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Vivere|Sonor Claro
Denon X4500H|MA Silver 200|MA Silver C150|Polk RC60i

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »
Strange but true, got a new S/H DAC today and just plumbed it up.  Sounds great, almost as good as vinyl (I started out with FLAC which I have on vinyl too).  Now listening to a few albums I have as FLAC which I don’t have on vinyl and as always enjoying the music.
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Stanp

« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »
Ben; I had a TT from about 1983 to about 1992. I listened to tapes too(mostly in my car). I then bought a CD player due to the fact that we were promised superior sound. It was the new "modern" thing. I then started replacing all my records with Cds. I used to compare the LP with the CD. To me they sounded equally good; I couldn't hear any difference. As to the snap, crackle pop that can occur with records; only when they are dirty. A clean record, certainly a new one has non of that. A record is so much more delicate than a cd; one slip can result in a scratch which absolutely ruins the record. A CD cannot have the snap,crackle and pop(which I hated hearing ) so this and the more resilient nature of the CD won me over. You have to clean records but not CDs, so more effort and care is needed with records.

I will never go back the records due to the cost of buying a good TT, phono stage and buying records; not because I think records are dead. How can they be dead when they are still been pressed.

I have no interest in streaming what so ever. Not to mention more cost in setting that up.

I will continue buying Cds. By the time they may stop making them, I should have many of them, so I need not worry.