3 (4.9%)
20+ years
28 (45.9%)
No longer actively listen to records
11 (18%)
Iíve never really gotten into records
6 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Are LPs Dead  (Read 5284 times)

Offline BJ

Are LPs Dead
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:15:01 PM »
Stumbled across this.....

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-do-lps-sound-so-good/#ftag=COS-05-10aaa0i

Seems like Analogue still have some life left in the medium....

Early 80ís...

Felt like yesterday when shops started to through out TTís to make room for the next best thing ď the CD....King of DigitalĒ

The Compact Disc is finding itself at Cross Roads, fighting to survive, whereas its old rival, the LP is Booming, and no signs of the ďCome backĒ slowing down.

Your take on this......
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
Re: Are LPs Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »
Is it though. Sure, this is a Hifi forum- youíre bound to run into some other vinyl lovers. But in the world at large? Beyond some hipsters being hip, I honestly donít think the movement has any real momentum.
Iím not knocking vinyl. If itís truly your medium of choice, then power to you. I just donít think itís as big as some would like to believe.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:48:51 PM »

as some would like to believe.

It's not about belief.
But sales growth compared to other medium.

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:50:29 PM »
OK, letís see the data.

For arguments sake, letís say you can produce reliable data that proves vinyl is outselling CD. Fair enough. But whoís buying CDs? Nobody. I havenít considered buying a CD in over 10 years. Letís only compare contemporary mediums to Vinyl. Now, how do the numbers stack up?
As I said, yes, there is a little vinyl revival going on. Maybe itís even growing. Multiply it tenfold. Itís still nowhere.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:59:36 PM by Tzs503gp »

Offline 2wice

Offline legro

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:16:01 PM »
Speaking for myself? Main source material cd. Still buying them and then, mea culpa, ripping them to my music server. Said device proving to be somewhat temperamental, also see other threads.

But thinking seriously about going back to vinyl as my main source, somehow think the sound quality vs hassle factor might be better. Go figure.
Then again, I am in my fifties so maybe just a midlife crisis...

Offline King_Julian_S

Are LPs Dead
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »
Iím no sheep it doesnít matter whatís going where according to whoeverís ďreliableĒ stats 

Sooo hypothetical... if the stats and facts was that this thing was really booming would that change peoples minds ( like digital members here ) ? , if so than those are sheep

Locally I am sure itís still nowhere pretty much .. not sure about Intnl.. but I donít like ďnew vinylĒ stuff so as long as they donít use these ďreliableĒ stats to get greedy again and up the prices of good old stock ...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:28:25 PM by King_Julian_S »
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:32:47 PM »
https://www.google.co.za/amp/s/thevinylfactory.com/news/cd-sales-falling-vinyl-growing/amp/

Clickbait

Those numbers mean nothing without the context of the base data. When a toddler turns 2 his age has increased 100%. When a person has his 51st birthday, his age has increased by 2%.

Without prejudice, Iíll point out again, some would like to believe.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 11:37:30 PM »
https://www.google.co.za/amp/s/thevinylfactory.com/news/cd-sales-falling-vinyl-growing/amp/

Who buys CDs? Vinyl's got its appeal, I have a friend with a large vinyl collection an no TT to speak of. People like physical things, personally I feel outside of mastering there's no basis for the belief vinyl sounds better than digital. The caveat being my genre of preference is hip-hop, so the "live sound" thing is not what I'm chasing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:42:59 PM by KenMasters »

Offline naughty

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 11:40:34 PM »

im sorry - those guys are talking percentages which is extremely misleading - yes CD sales may be falling very quickly and vinyl sales may be increasing in terms of a percentage but only a year or two ago vinyl was still only 4% of total music sales from what i read so even if its doubled it doesnt mean too much because for every person who has a turntable and is seriously using it i can show you around 100 people who have the iternet and who either stream or download or pirate music who isnt counted in official music consumption figures

so in all reality Tzs503gp is more correct that while vinyl is back on the increase its popularity is definitely being overstated - besides CD isnt the only means of digital music sales - and mainly due to piracy these digital "consumption" figures are also wildlly being underestimated since the total consumption is not only just total sales - if there was a way to estimate how much piracy is actually going on you may be surprised to see that all official music sales (CD and vinyl) are being left in the dust because everyone has a computer as well as a decent internet connection nowadays - and almost everyone i visit has a large downloaded library or they swopped stuff with their cousin, or aunt or sisters dog who brought a hard drive over or they are using Joox or tidal or spotify or google music or itunes (or any one of those streaming services available nowadays) - so while vinyl may be on the increase and CD may be on the decrease they both dont hold a candle to the music sources that matter IMHO   

so in all reality any story about CD or vinyl is all much ado about nothing because both of those are now in reality mostly niche formats in reference to total consumption, and not really mainstream and their sales figures are only a trickle compared to the mainstream "consumption" methods

But thinking seriously about going back to vinyl as my main source, somehow think the sound quality vs hassle factor might be better. Go figure.
Then again, I am in my fifties so maybe just a midlife crisis...

im on the other side of the fence to you ... i think that the sound quality of vinyl leaves a lot to be desired for me personally  - since every time i visit someone and even if their turntable costs 25% of what my flat cost me or is 4 times more expensive than my car i am still rendered cold when i hear snap, crackle and pop and the same albums CD or rip doesnt have any of that .... and at that point im happy im not getting back to the same old nonsense i turned my back on all those years ago  :thumbs: .... i can handle a lot of other things but that snap, crackle and pop still gets my goat every time and i would throw away any turntable i owned .... which is why im not interested in buying one (other people are most welcome to) ..... truth be told i dont have a CD player anymore either .... all my music is now on hard drive - and i have tagged most of it and embedded the coverart and im closer to my ideal of having a huge amount of properly organized music on my own music servers .... and hopefully when the server becomes temperamental i have enough knowhow to sort it out so i can continue to enjoy the content on my servers (BTW just to make it crystal clear im not trying to imply that you dont have the knowhow, but im a tinkerer and i enjoy most computer related challenges more than most other people i know so no insult intended to anyone)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:56:02 PM by naughty »

Offline 2wice

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 12:04:29 AM »
Growth is all that matters here, the dead don't grow.
The factories can't keep up with the demand and 2018 was the 1st year new presses were comisioned in decades.
The lead times has also grown.
That it's off a low base is a given.
It will never be a mainstream format, but it's growing double digits.

Offline Morne Coetzee

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 01:40:28 AM »
Growth is all that matters here, the dead don't grow.
The factories can't keep up with the demand and 2018 was the 1st year new presses were comisioned in decades.
The lead times has also grown.
That it's off a low base is a given.
It will never be a mainstream format, but it's growing double digits.

Good for you if you are happy with your 600% growth which is 50 more LP's than last year. The fact remains the number one format is probably Utorrent.
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 05:55:12 AM »
USA CD sales down 46,9% from first half 2017 to first half 2018.

USA Vinyl sales up 12,6% for the same period.

https://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/RIAA-Mid-Year-2018-Revenue-Report.pdf
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Online Dolby

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 05:57:17 AM »
The fact remains the number one format is probably Utorrent

I haven't got stats, but I suspect even that is shrinking in favour of legit streaming (audio and video).

Offline naughty

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 06:14:37 AM »
USA CD sales down 46,9% from first half 2017 to first half 2018.

USA Vinyl sales up 12,6% for the same period.

https://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/RIAA-Mid-Year-2018-Revenue-Report.pdf

yes sir - this report is linked in the link that 2wice provided above so some of us have browsed over to it

but those percentages you quote do not mean much in the overall picture .... because as you scroll down and if you read properly total music sales of digital medium to physical medium in 2017 is 10% for physical and 90% for digital (they dont have the 2018 figures yet) but that 10% physical is actually both CD and Vinyl with some other minor things and Digital is the officially streamed stuff, so physical mediums are getting dropped like hot potatoes - which is demonstrated by the fact that in 2016 the figures were 85% for digital and 15% for physical

in fact it is obvious that people are replacing CDs with streaming but vinyl is replacing nothing .... actually take that 9% of increase in vinyl and try to imagine what it represents in total music sales altogether and it isnt even a drop of water off a ducks back in all reality (so IMHO very far from booming as described in the first post) and that drop in CD sales has hurt the sales of physical media (by the percentage drop of CD sales minus the percentage increase of vinyl sales .... and this adds up to a 5% total drop in a space of 1 year and its still to be determined if that very minor increase in vinyl sales and huge drop in CD sales is going to be a continuing trend for all of 2018 but i really expect that sales pf physical media will drop even further when we re-examine this next year this time)

Edit : it is probably impossible to do this but i think that all those figures will pale anyway if you could figure out the torrent and unpaid mp3 download stats which dont contribute to sales figures .... so in all reality the increase in vinyl sales still show it to be a very minor increase and its still very much a niche market and not very likely to carry on increasing too much relative to unofficial downloads or official streaming even if it can eclipse CD sales ... its still a non starter in the figures game and to be fair the same goes for CD sales  ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 06:30:04 AM by naughty »