Author Topic: So loadshedding is back  (Read 3405 times)

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
Re: So loadshedding is back
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 06:52:12 AM »
about 22 hours ago
JOHANNESBURG - Eskom has apologised to the whole country for the inconvenience caused by the ongoing controlled power outages.

:yawn:   
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline andredt

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 07:02:22 AM »
This is going to be a long term problem :)
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki

Offline CAD

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 07:05:31 AM »
It sure is and the cost of the "problem" is simply going to be passed onto the tax payer as well as the paying users(again).

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 07:20:42 AM »
Eskom seem to misunderstand apologies.  Not accepted, and itís time that all those former and current bosses are arrested and tried.

In the meantime, up to stage 4 the times for my load shedding are OK but I use so little power itís just an irritation
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 08:06:11 AM »
The batteries are "sealed" and there is a window through which you can view a green sticker which indicates the charge level
They are 12 volt batteries, connected in series.  When fully charged, you get 13.6 V per battery which provides 27.2 volts.
The inverter cuts the feed from the batteries when the incoming voltage is 22 volts, or 11V per battery.

As far as maintenance, all I have done is to make sure the cable clamps are tight.  There is a 10mm dia cable feeding the batteries and a 6mm dia cable between the batteries

I did note that when the inverter stopped working, the batteries connected to the +ve inverter terminal read 11.5 volts and the one connected to -ve was 9.8 volts

With the batteries disconnected, the voltage improved to 12.1V and 11.4V respectively

The make is "Maximus" and I purchased them from Centurion Systems, the guys who supply gate motors, etc
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline naughty

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 08:12:58 AM »
The batteries are "sealed" and there is a window through which you can view a green sticker which indicates the charge level
They are 12 volt batteries, connected in series.  When fully charged, you get 13.6 V per battery which provides 27.2 volts.
The inverter cuts the feed from the batteries when the incoming voltage is 22 volts, or 11V per battery.

As far as maintenance, all I have done is to make sure the cable clamps are tight.  There is a 10mm dia cable feeding the batteries and a 6mm dia cable between the batteries

I did note that when the inverter stopped working, the batteries connected to the +ve inverter terminal read 11.5 volts and the one connected to -ve was 9.8 volts

With the batteries disconnected, the voltage improved to 12.1V and 11.4V respectively

The make is "Maximus" and I purchased them from Centurion Systems, the guys who supply gate motors, etc

those are maintenance free batteries and they die when you allow them to discharge to under a certain limit - you have to keep them fully charged all the time otherwise you have to take them back to the manufacturers to revive them (your nearest battery charging centre cannot recharge them - only the manufacturer can)

I have had a similar problem with numerous Deltec batteries in the past - only to find out that the manufacturer/importer who is in Pinetown can restore them in that situation if needs be and i threw them away for nothing .... so maybe if you take yours back then they can possibly be revived unless the manufacturer doesnt revive them because they want to make more money off you buying more batteries

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline CAD

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
^^ OMW  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Offline HB

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2018, 08:29:41 AM »
 freaking dumb ass!  :nutter:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline shadow.clone

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
I bought 180ah batteries from Sinetech about 3.5 years ago. Still seem to be going strong even though I don't discharge them regularly. Sadly that will change courtesy of Eskom.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 01:53:58 PM »
We were just off for three and a half hours in Table View. The schedule stated a duration for 2 hours only. Very inconvenient!

Anyone else experiencing longer shedding times as advertised?

Offline Katji

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
No, thank goodness.  2 hours; Friday and Saturday from about 14:10, yesterday and today from about 10:10 to 14:10. (Glenwood, Durban.) Laptop battery and router battery pack no problem. All I need now in this place is a camping gas stove so I can make coffee. Yesterday it was off when I woke up, so I ended up drinking cold water Nescafe.

Offline Wim

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »
Thankfully our area have dodged this bullet the entire weekend and no power cuts or issues at all, although I suspect our luck might run out soon. I am prepared.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »
And my emigration to Qatar comes just in time, I fly out on Thursday afternoon at 12:35

Goodbye incompetent government!!!!!