Author Topic: Credit Card Fraud- Suggestions?  (Read 460 times)

Offline adie

Credit Card Fraud- Suggestions?
« on: December 01, 2018, 09:31:51 PM »
My Petrocard was fraudulently used today/tonight. Thank goodness I paid attention to the FNB email notification. R2300 at some service station I can't find on Google.
Took longer than I would like to get to speak to the right person at FNB (getting like Telkom!).
I suspect my card was skimmed at Mooi River toll plaza 3 dyas ago, when the woman in the booth said my card was not valid. Or at the service station a short while before.
I'v written to Tolcon.
Card is cancelled and a (FNB) case opened. I can expect a response in 7-10 working days!  :puke:

My first time.....
Anything else I should be doing?

Offline gavinbirss

Re: Credit Card Fraud- Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:35:47 PM »
The replacement card (credit card linked) will have a pin and yes it will work without a pin at a tollbooth. (why have a pin then?)

And yes, it may even be possible to use as a credit card for online purchases as it may have a CSV...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:45:33 PM by gavinbirss »

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 03:21:29 AM »
And yes, it may even be possible to use as a credit card for online purchases as it may have a CSV...

Standard Bank told me one "security" measure is to scratch off the CSV (after copying it in a safe place).

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
Same happened to my wife and myself  with FNB, but it can happen with any card. All they need is a photo of both sides of your card. As Steerpike says, scratch off the CCV number after writing it down. You only need it for online purchases. My wife got the refund after 7 days and mine never went through as they tried to purchase more than the available balance on the account.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Skylark

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »
I'm assuming the fraud was a card not present transaction and no pin was used, if that is the case you'll get your money back. The petrol station that accepted the transaction probably has a cashier/attendant in collusion because virtually no merchants accept unsecured payments like that any longer solely because they can so easily be reversed by the bank.
Music is in the Mind

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »
Follow it up with the toll company.  Brother in law had his card skimmed at the Chapman's Peak Toll Plaza just past Hout Bay.  There followed 3 months of passing the buck.  He eventually found that the staff in the toll booth are supplied by a local company, who clammed up tight when challenged

I went to see the Hout Bay SAPS and they told me there were "dozens" of complaints about this toll booth.  Worst is they rip off tourists who mistake a R20 note with a R200 note.   One lady handed over R600 instead of the R45 fee.   A local person was sitting in the back of the car spotted what was going on and confronted the cashier.  She first at denied it, then opened the door and ran away.
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Spaj

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
Had a second occurrence of this middle of last year >:(. On both occasions shortly after an on-site car hire transaction with the old carbon copy roller device. You will likely be asked to complete an affidavit indicating the last authorized purchase and you should be refunded. This was Nedbank.
Step aside caffeine, this is a job for alcohol.

Offline adie

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies- and sorry about the similar experiences.
There's no CSV on the petrocard.
I had a notification today that the "transaction has been declined due to a problem with the credit card" and the money is back in my account.

Offline adie

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:08:08 AM »
WTF!
The money has now been debited.
Getting through to the correct division (Fraud) is as tedious as contacting Telkom!
After holding and 1 ring, I was cut off.

Offline Riddlers

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 08:16:28 PM »
My Petrocard was fraudulently used today/tonight. Thank goodness I paid attention to the FNB email notification. R2300 at some service station I can't find on Google.
Took longer than I would like to get to speak to the right person at FNB (getting like Telkom!).
I suspect my card was skimmed at Mooi River toll plaza 3 dyas ago, when the woman in the booth said my card was not valid. Or at the service station a short while before.
I'v written to Tolcon.
Card is cancelled and a (FNB) case opened. I can expect a response in 7-10 working days!  :puke:

My first time.....
Anything else I should be doing?

Surprised it takes so long, I had my money back within 24 hours, also FNB