Author Topic: Looking for a Reel-to-Reel Player that can play 10" Reels  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Blixempie

Looking for a Reel-to-Reel Player that can play 10" Reels
« on: June 05, 2018, 10:57:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hope I'm posting this in the correct section.

I have a few studio-grade 10" Audio Reels that I need to transfer to digital format.

If anyone has a Reel-to-Reel player with hubs capable of playing 10" studio reels that they would be able to lend to me for a day or so, please inbox me.

Offline Jaxxon

Re: Looking for a Reel-to-Reel Player that can play 10" Reels
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »
You could borrow mine if I could get someone to put it back together!!    :-[

Offline 2phat

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
I have A Revox A700 in parts and a complete set of caps etc to restore it - if you have time  -Free and gratis! :)
I started but ran out of time and interest.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 05:43:03 PM »
Mike (fdlsys) will fix you up.  He is about to resurrect a Revox A700
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:24:24 PM »
Blixempie, these machines are not a dime a dozen, and to lend one out is a bit of an understandable risk, not to mention that if your 10" tapes are Ampex whomever loans you their machine is in for a ton of grief afterwards.

Also, you need to confirm if the tapes you have are recorded 1/2 track or 1/4 track format, and what width tape, 1/4", 1/2", 1", 1 or 3"

If you can confirm the tape make as not being Ampex, is1/4" and are willing to, you can come setup at my place and come transfer your tapes to digital, as long as I get to keep the tapes afterwards :thumbs: :thumbs:

But, absolutely no Ampex..

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
But, absolutely no Ampex..
Unfortunately, Ampex was also OEM tape supplier for other manufacturers so the infamous "tape shed" is not reserved for Ampex brand alone.

Furthermore, with ZA climate extremes (day-night temperature difference) and depending on the area (coastal) if tapes were stored in normal room conditions, ZA has a massive problem with fungus growth on the tapes.
I have a few BASF tapes (they manufactured their own material) that are exhibiting even worse symptoms than Ampex. Greyish-whitish fungal colonies, magnetic material coming off the carrier if you try to clean the fungus. Disaster.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis