Author Topic: Modifying PYE tube amp  (Read 462 times)

Offline LittleWolf

Modifying PYE tube amp
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:59:30 PM »
Hey guys,

I picked up a 1954 PYE Black Box turntable with integrated amp and speakers. I've cleaned it up a bit and it actually sounds pretty cool. I was wondering, would it be possible to:

1) get a better speaker or two and use it to power those (thinking AR25s which I can get real cheap). The amp is mono.

2) would it be possible to wire it up so that I can have an aux input? Thinking I can use it as the sound system in my workshop.

Cheers

Offline Michon

Re: Modifying PYE tube amp
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:22:19 PM »
Both of those are possible to do.

If you do wish to do that to this unit, as opposed to getting a stereo hifi system (an integrated valve or transistor amplifier and two speakers, which I would suggest in order to preserve this old item), do it in such a manner that the modifications do not damage the bodywork of the unit (by for instance routing all the cables through the bottom as opposed to the front, back, sides or top) and doing the modifications in such a manner that they can be reversed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:24:38 PM by Michon »
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline LittleWolf

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:30:00 AM »
Cool, thanks for the info.

Maybe I should just do the speaker option for now, will be easiest and least invasive and then decide on the rest later.

Offline charles

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:45:09 AM »
I have one and will keep it original.

Offline LittleWolf

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
Cool! Unfortunately the mechanism in mine doesn't work properly. I think the springs are a bit stretched out. It doesn't load records from the spindle as it should. Tried to see if greasing it up would help, but unfortunately not. I can either get it to load records correctly but then does not eject. Or I can get it to eject properly but not load records.

Online HB

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 11:39:33 AM »
Pics please.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 06:22:59 AM »
If possible to see, what model PYE amplifier are we talking about here?
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 08:29:59 PM »
I've been restoring mine for the last few months.... a LOT of work.

The Rola speakers in it are way better quality than anything in production today.
The version I have is the EL42 PP/ultra-linear.

Record players that eject? I've only ever know such a function on a cassette tape deck!