STROOP: a SA documentary- received internationally with accolades

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
The Rhino war is something we all probably have heard of and we know about the plight behind the efforts to save the Rhino from extinction. In SA we almost, in light of all our difficulties on a humanitarian, social, political and economic level, have become jaded about the dire straights we are in terms of the terrible situation around  Rhino poaching, trafficking and all the cruelty involved in this senselessness.

I had the privilege to attend one of the screenings of STROOP, a South African funded and made documentary about the "strooping" of the Rhino population in SA. Susan Scott and Bonn? de Bod are the powerhouses and talent behind the internationally acclaimed documentary, STROOP. Bonn? is the daughter of my associate in the consulting business and I have known her for years now. I cannot help to be proud of her achievement, especially on behalf also of her dad who has been my mentor and best friend for many many years.

I am more of a city kind of guy and often when Bonn?'s dad and I had to introduce ourselves at strategy sessions or workshops we used to joke around hat he loves nature, as he put its designed by the Architect  in the sky and I would then come in to say that I loves culture-man made stuff and art.  ;)

Despite this joking around between us, cruelty touches me deeply and the movie is a very powerful piece of work. It takes one on an emotional journey and shows the gentleness and kindness to be found in both human and animal life as well as the cruelty and senseless with which we as custodians of the gift of nature behave. It is gut and heart wrenching to watch.

What is sad is that the movie distributors in SA have turned their backs on the film. They said it won't pull crowds. So the screenings were all paid by Bonn? and Susan. On the other side of the spectrum, critics and the public have received the film very very well across the world. It was screened in Rotterdam, Munich and USA and received awards.

I would like to invite all to try and watch the movie. The shows in CPT and Durban is sold out but who knows.. it will be released on video and I think one more shows are planned for JHB next weekend, on the 8th of Dec.

I would like to encourage all to support this magnificent effort driven by the passion of the 2 ladies. They disserve all the support from us, the SA public as well. Have a look at the links for more detail and support them on their FB page as well. Their perseverance and talent, and I must add courage(watch the film and you will see why) to pull this documentary off is an inspiration for me.

Thanks for all who will give them a "nice and high take five".

Stefan

https://www.sdbfilms.com/stroopabout

https://www.facebook.com/stroopdiefilm/

Latest posts