Author Topic: For sale: Line Magnetic 518ia  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Strainger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: For sale: Line Magnetic 518ia
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 09:03:16 PM »
I forgot to mention that the amp was not bought locally, but imported in July 2016. My apologies.

So, I got it in July, and the Westminsters only arrived in October 2016. Which means that I spent quite a bit of time using the 518ia to drive my 88db, 8ohm B&W 801 Matrix S3s. This is a quote from an email that I sent to Chris Templer, July 21 (first time turning the amp on, no play-in time):

Had my first listen to the Line Magnetic last night. Not an earth-shattering experience, but certainly a feeling of all-round 'rightness'. And, 22w, it grabbed my 87db/m B&Ws by the tail and swung them around. I'll let it play for a few hours and then give a second opinion.

Ok, I never gave that second opinion, and I cannot honestly say I remember how loud the setup could play, say, a full blown symphony orchestra, but I do remember listening A LOT. And a sense of 'balance'. Take into account that I went from those B&Ws to the Westminsters, and you'd understand that most pre-Westminster experiences were just obliterated.

Anyway, enough rambling. Just wanted to mention that the LM518ia could handle the 801s, which are not exactly chickenfeed.

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
Blue Bull and Air...u guys are spot on..agree as well that impedance matching plays a role in output voltage swing. The best matching (of impedance) at any/every point in the quadraplane(0-360 degrees) coupled with correct current and voltage phase angle( best power factor?)  results in best power output/swing. ( P=I^2R). and P=IV. Transistor amps are less forgiving with output(source) impedances designed to be closer to zero sapping away voltage swing.

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »
Sooo... the bloody remote is simply missing. I don't know if I should cry like a little girl, or break something... which will make me cry like a little girl... sigh.

Sooo... I'll have to get a new remote, and hopefully Ricata can help me out. Mind you, the remote only has volume control and mute buttons, so if you are running your setup through a pre-amp, or a DAC with volume control, you can probably get a liiiiitle bit of discount and leave the remote. Sigh.

Secondly, Francois is willing to keep the amp at his place till it is sold. Which means he can demo the amp to people in Johannesburg, Pretoria and those areas.

If someone is going from Bloem to Gauteng, or Bethlehem to Gauteng, it would be a great help if you can take the amp with you. If it is Bloem to Gauteng, I'll have to meet you somewhere on the N1 - Kroonstad, or Ventersburg. Bethlehem is 35km away, so that is no issue.

Otherwise I hope to be able to take the amp to Gauteng towards end of next week.

Offline Spurge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »
And Cape Town? No trip is complete without coming to Cape Town?

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »
And Cape Town? No trip is complete without coming to Cape Town?

Simple: to get it to Cape Town, buy it!   :cool:

I am halfway between Bloem and Johannesburg, so Cape Town is... a long way in the wrong direction.  ;D

Offline wjvrens

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • For the love of music
Re: For sle: Line Magnetic 518ia
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2018, 03:48:28 PM »
Thank you, Dewald ^^^

Maybe read this link: http://www.glow-audio.com/loudspeaker.html

Here is an excerpt:

98-101 dB SPL with 1 watt input:

101:   ZU Loudspeakers*   http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers

99:     KLIPSCH Heresy III*   

See also other classic as well as newer KLIPSCH models, with sensitivity ratings typically above 93 dB SPL.

TANNOY loudspeakers.*  Some models rated 99 dB SPL and up. http://www.tannoy-speakers.com

(Note: we use a pair of massive 15" Tannoy dual concentric studio monitors to voice our amps)

ROYAL (Italy) loudspeakers ranging from 93 - 99 dB SPL www.royaldevice.com/donna.htm

98:     BEAUHORN Loudspeakers.  www.beauhorn.com

LOWTHER - Full range drivers rated at 98 dB SPL and up.   www.lowther-america.com

94-97 dB SPL with 1 watt input:

CERWIN VEGA Loudspeakers - Various models rated from 92 to 97 dB SPL http://www.cerwinvega.com/

OMEGA Loudspeakers* - Various models rated from 93 to 96 dB SPL  www.omegaloudspeakers.com

SONIST Loudspeakers* -  www.sonist.com

FOSTEX full range drivers. http://www.fostexspeakers.com/

Audio Nirvana

FRITZ Loudspeakers

Coincident -  Several models including Triumph rated at 94 db and higher 

90-93 dB SPL with 1 watt input:

There are many loudspeakers that fall within this output range, too many to list here, so what you see is simply a small sampling of what is available.

TEKTON loudspeakers (various full range models)   http://www.tektondesign.com/model41.htm

Hornshoppe Horns - www.thehornshoppe.com

Martin Logan LX16 at 92 db SPL

Monitor Audio Bronze at 90 db SPL

PSB Alpha B1 at 91 db SPL

Definitive Technology 45 at 91 db SPL

Many KEF, B&W, JBL, Definitive Technology, and other bookshelf models fall within this range.

ADS L420, L520, and L620 at 92 db SPL, 6 ohms nominal and 4 ohms minimum SPL.

Can just imagine how good it will sound with many of these speakers  :notworthy:

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 01:06:03 AM »
I did not manage to get the amp to Francois yet... I hate to ship, would rather take it through myself. Of course, if anybody is going in that direction... I'll help with petrol!

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:31 AM »
Ok, I'll immediately admit that I am a naive fool for buying this amp from the wrong people - if you will spare me all the condescending and patronizing comments/emojis.

In December of 2015 I was made aware by people on the forums that Ricata was the agents for Line Magnetic in SA. I tried emailing them, but received no response. In the email I also remarked on their seeming 'lack of activity on their facebook since 2013', meaning that I wasn't sure if they were still active.

Anyway, not hearing from them, I started scanning the net. And, yep, I stumbled upon CattyLink. I was surprised at the low price, but when asking about that, I was told that there was a major surplus of the gold-faced amplifiers, since the Chinese market was only interested in the black amplifiers. So, I took a chance and bought this 518ia - and I haven't been sorry for one second. The only reason I found out that something was wrong, was because I was looking for a remote to replace the one I lost, and the serial number rang the wrong bells at LineMagnetic.

I absolutely believe, then and now, that this is the real thing, but I am willing to play the guinea pig and let someone with the know-how and the right instruments open the amp up to check that the right stuff is under the hood, and also do the necessary measurements to qualify performance. For me it is a win-win: if it IS the real thing, good - but if it is a clone with inferior parts, it can probably be upgraded to sound even better than it currently does - which is awesome!

I am still willing to take it to Francois, if he is willing to test a rip-off on his system. And if some electronics guru will take it for a spin on an oscilloscope... I will appreciate it.

It was never my intention to deceive anyone. I believe I already told JesseJon that I got mine from Cattylink quite a while ago in a chat we had while he was selling his LM518ia.

Anyway, there it is...

Offline Cross_over

• AVForums Member
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 06:35:39 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Blue Bull

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Chris
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 07:30:20 AM »
Heh ???

Merlin VSM MXr Master BAM/Unison Research T25 /Mark Levinson 36/Sony 790/PS Audio UPC200/Transp Ultra PowerLink/SignalCable pwrcords/Monster M1500i M1000i/Transp Super MM2 sp c / Manley Stingray II/Revel M22/Cardas G Ref sp cable.The Gryphon Callisto 2100

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »
So...they wouldnt sell you a remote control because of a serial number problem? Theres some decent images on the web of what the innards on these amps look like, and it looks more complicated than I expected....so lots to look at/compare.... maybe pop the bottom cover and compare what you have. Did Catty send you any user manual /purchase documentation that could be verified to to see if its genuine docs ?  It looks like you have the real thing...serial number over telephone or typo when searching on their side could be the error. I know its a bit early, but pour yourself a whisky bud..this gonna be ok.  :)

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »
So...they wouldnt sell you a remote control because of a serial number problem? Theres some decent images on the web of what the innards on these amps look like, and it looks more complicated than I expected....so lots to look at/compare.... maybe pop the bottom cover and compare what you have. Did Catty send you any user manual /purchase documentation that could be verified to to see if its genuine docs ?  It looks like you have the real thing...serial number over telephone or typo when searching on their side could be the error. I know its a bit early, but pour yourself a whisky bud..this gonna be ok.  :)

Thanks, marantz  :) It sure looks, and more importantly, SOUNDS, like the real thing. But, trying to buy a replacement remote from the local dealers, I received the following reply: (please note, I do not blame them)

Line Magnetic have very good quality products both sound quality and build quality; and they have developed a solid reputation over many years.
The fake products do not use the same components and are not of the same quality and only serve to damage the Brand reputation.
We cannot be seen to provide any support whatsoever to  these products.
We will be happy to assist with the purchase of any of the true Line Magnetic amplifier should you require, but will not be able to assist with the item that you currently have.

And on Line-Magnetic's own website:
No after-sales service for these counterfeit devices will be covered by the Line Magnetic brand.
Please also note that any product received for repair by Line Magnetic & BC Diffusion SAS, and which will prove to be a fake, will not be returned. The sale and distribution of counterfeit products are illegal!

And here is the real kicker: Cattylink no longer exists...  :O0: (where's that friggin whisky...)

Or, maybe this is the real kicker: I am not/cannot be sorry or disappointed about the whole thing. This amp is brilliant, and if it sounds this good with counterfeit parts...

Line Magnetic have very good quality products both sound quality and build quality; and they have developed a solid reputation over many years.

Well, it has the sound quality, it has the build quality... I won't say it quacks like a duck, because.... sound quality, you know... And my intention WAS to buy from the dealers.

But in the end I payed about half the price for a product I am totally in love with, so no regrets from me.

Marantz, I will not try to open the amp on my own. My brother's kids has this saying 'Oom, daai hande van jou staan vir niks reg nie!'. I'd rather look for someone with the right hands  :)

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »
Btw., I am still trying to contact Line-Magnetic, China, to verify that serial number, but at this stage it feels like trying to get water from a stone.

Offline Signet

• AVForums Member
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2018, 10:35:40 AM »
Maybe Cattylink had grey imports?  Reason why local dealers not picking up on their side?  :thinking:
At the end of the day, hope you get the answers you are looking for
Never underestimate the predicability of stupidity - Bullet Tooth Tony

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2018, 01:06:59 PM »
Maybe Cattylink had grey imports?  Reason why local dealers not picking up on their side?  :thinking:
At the end of the day, hope you get the answers you are looking for

Thank you, I appreciate it.

In the end, the only problem I am sitting with is that I needed money, hence the need to sell the amp. I was not even really bothered by the loss of the remote, since I am using a pre-amp with the LM. Remote was only for the benefit of a prospective buyer.

But, in the end I am sitting with an excellent amplifier (which, apparently, will improve IMMENSELY once I replace the fake parts). Anyone that will take that look under the hood for me?  ;D