Author Topic: For sale: Line Magnetic 518ia  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Strainger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: For sle: Line Magnetic 518ia
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
Thank  you for your sympathies, wjvrens.

And a steal it is: R65k+ new

Offline dschoem

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • R.I.P 18 June 2019
    • AVSA
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
This is a great example of the SET art - one of the most addictive tube amps I've heard. You can read my full review here:

https://www.avsa.co.za/line-magnetic-518a-set-integrated-amplifier/

Excellent price, too - even with that scratch! GLWS
Deon Schoeman
AVSA

Online Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
I cannot but agree with the posts singing the praises of this affordable piece of audio artistry. I have heard the amp on 2 occasions within different systems(speakers) and it really has a very special sound quality. The build quality is also exceptional. With the right speaker, this would certainly be an end game amp for an enthusiast. At the moment it seems that it is raining good amps in the forum, a number of very good amps on sale, but this SET is probably the cherry to be picked. 

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
Thank you Deon, Air...

It was supposed to be my final setup. The only thing still missing was the right DAC. And I had my eye on this one:

Not only a pretty face to fit in with the LM518ia, but seems like a very good DAC as well.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue74/line_magnetic.htm

Offline Bruce M

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »
Just a query here, lots of comment on pairing this with the right speakers, but what would they be?

I'm interested to hear recommendations? Obviously there are many worthy vintage options, (i.e large and efficient), but what "modern" recommendations are out there? Perhaps with pricing in line with the asking price?

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I'm sure others are also interested in the question?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+39)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
Depending on your budget, I have close to the best DAC up to R100k. Easily. Iíll PM you
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline wjvrens

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
  • For the love of music
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 08:19:06 PM »
Just a query here, lots of comment on pairing this with the right speakers, but what would they be?

I'm interested to hear recommendations? Obviously there are many worthy vintage options, (i.e large and efficient), but what "modern" recommendations are out there? Perhaps with pricing in line with the asking price?

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I'm sure others are also interested in the question?

Mine drives Zu Audio Druids, beautiful combination.

Online Blue Bull

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Chris
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »

Zu
Devore
Merlin
Unison Max 1

Those are a few  ;)
Merlin VSM MXr Master BAM/Unison Research T25 /Mark Levinson 36/Sony 790/PS Audio UPC200/Transp Ultra PowerLink/SignalCable pwrcords/Monster M1500i M1000i/Transp Super MM2 sp c / Manley Stingray II/Revel M22/Cardas G Ref sp cable.The Gryphon Callisto 2100

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Iacta Alea Est
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Depending on your budget, I have close to the best DAC up to R100k. Easily. Iíll PM you

C'mon Francois, you can't just put it out there..!
Of which DAC do you speak?  :drool:

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+39)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »
I have the MingDa 22W version. Played it on Watt Puppy 5's. O crap it was good. Cant do a 8x8m room, but in 4x4 its sublime and way loud enough.
BullFrogs very good
Zingali's absolutely stunning sound
Rethm Sadhana's razy - but here even 3W is enough
Tannoy D900's also perfect, as well as Vusi's (Jazzy) Tannoy TD12. He used 18W...more than enough

And Blue Bull's list is sublime....

Speakers NOT to try:
B&W 8xx
Thiel
Monitor Audio GX/PL 200, 300
Maggies  :point:
Martin Logans
Somehow Quad 2905's hated the SET ?

@CTWatches - iFi IDSD Pro
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 12:39:22 AM »
In my setup it drove Tannoy Westminster SEs, room 8x15m, and always seemed to have a lot in reserve. The listener always quit before the amp.

Offline ghostinthemachine

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+13)
    • Seventy Seven Mfg Co
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 10:30:41 AM »
I can vouch for this amplifier and its greatness! Spent around a week listening to Fanus' setup and it is just sublime!
Conquer yourself rather than the world - Rene Descartes

#77mfgco - www.77mfg.co.za

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »
Thank you, Dewald ^^^

Maybe read this link: http://www.glow-audio.com/loudspeaker.html

Here is an excerpt:

98-101 dB SPL with 1 watt input:

101:   ZU Loudspeakers*   http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers

99:     KLIPSCH Heresy III*   

See also other classic as well as newer KLIPSCH models, with sensitivity ratings typically above 93 dB SPL.

TANNOY loudspeakers.*  Some models rated 99 dB SPL and up. http://www.tannoy-speakers.com

(Note: we use a pair of massive 15" Tannoy dual concentric studio monitors to voice our amps)

ROYAL (Italy) loudspeakers ranging from 93 - 99 dB SPL www.royaldevice.com/donna.htm

98:     BEAUHORN Loudspeakers.  www.beauhorn.com

LOWTHER - Full range drivers rated at 98 dB SPL and up.   www.lowther-america.com

94-97 dB SPL with 1 watt input:

CERWIN VEGA Loudspeakers - Various models rated from 92 to 97 dB SPL http://www.cerwinvega.com/

OMEGA Loudspeakers* - Various models rated from 93 to 96 dB SPL  www.omegaloudspeakers.com

SONIST Loudspeakers* -  www.sonist.com

FOSTEX full range drivers. http://www.fostexspeakers.com/

Audio Nirvana

FRITZ Loudspeakers

Coincident -  Several models including Triumph rated at 94 db and higher 

90-93 dB SPL with 1 watt input:

There are many loudspeakers that fall within this output range, too many to list here, so what you see is simply a small sampling of what is available.

TEKTON loudspeakers (various full range models)   http://www.tektondesign.com/model41.htm

Hornshoppe Horns - www.thehornshoppe.com

Martin Logan LX16 at 92 db SPL

Monitor Audio Bronze at 90 db SPL

PSB Alpha B1 at 91 db SPL

Definitive Technology 45 at 91 db SPL

Many KEF, B&W, JBL, Definitive Technology, and other bookshelf models fall within this range.

ADS L420, L520, and L620 at 92 db SPL, 6 ohms nominal and 4 ohms minimum SPL.

Online Blue Bull

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Chris
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 05:44:41 PM »
Don't blind stare on sensitivity ... look at impedance.

5ohm minimum usually a nice match for tube amps .
Stingray II sounds great with Revel M22s ..min 4.8ohm.86.5dB.Stingray II likes 5 ohm and above ,according to the designing Madam.
Merlins minimum of 6.5ohm ...a breeze with tube amps .89dB
Triode 25 and Simply Italy matches perfect on 6ohm of Max 1s .
Devore and Zu very light loads for tube amps.

There are a few of us that understands the "light load tube amp" nirvana ..It usually takes 20 years of experience before you get it  ;) 

Merlin VSM MXr Master BAM/Unison Research T25 /Mark Levinson 36/Sony 790/PS Audio UPC200/Transp Ultra PowerLink/SignalCable pwrcords/Monster M1500i M1000i/Transp Super MM2 sp c / Manley Stingray II/Revel M22/Cardas G Ref sp cable.The Gryphon Callisto 2100

Online Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 06:30:29 PM »
I agree with some (if not all) of the examples of suitable speakers provided by the various members and also agree with Blue Bull that impedance is as important as sensitivity if not more. Even the electrical phase angle of the design can make a difference.

A caveat however, don't ever trust the quoted specs of the manufacturer!!! Try to validate it with a lab test by one of the magazines(Stereophile, Soundstage and avhub.com.au/hi-fi as a starting point and some European mags if you can manage google translate or speak one of the languages) This is one area where most manufacturers are over-optimistic about their product's performance_marketing in control.

This kind of amp requires a bit more homework to get most out of it and not waste money and run in circles.

Yes, it would play with less than ideal matching speakers but it won't be as magical as what it potentially can be.
 :2c: