Author Topic: For sale: Line Magnetic 518ia  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Strainger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
For sale: Line Magnetic 518ia
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
This is heartbreaking, but forced by (lack of) finances I have to sell my Line Magnetic 518ia SET amplifier. 22wpc, built like a tank, no hum, even on high efficiency speakers. 2years old. Less than moderate hours on the valves. For more info and specs, have a look at this article: https://www.stereophile.com/content/line-magnetic-audio-lm-518ia-integrated-amplifier

I am selling for R35k, which, with even just a little research, you will realize is an absolute bargain.

I do not have pics ready, wife is still looking for her camera. In the meantime, please refer to pics (just scroll down a bit) posted by JesseJon - https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,54959.msg687235.html#msg687235

My 518i has a slight scratch on the bottom right side, and a slight mark on the bottom left side. (I will post clear pictures of the damage). This damage occurred during shipping, for which I received compensation, but in my limitless wisdom I decided to rather upgrade the main tubes from standard 845s to Shuguang HIFI 845Bs. The Shuguang Hifi 845B IS basically the Psvane 845-HIFI - same company, etc.

The 518ia is a brilliant amp. It is used to drive Tannoy Westminster Royal SEs, and not once could I hear it fail (or even strain) to deliver what was asked of it. Obviously the Tannoys have an efficiency of 99db/w/m, which enables the 518ia to effortlessly bring forth ground shaking church organ music, or whatever your heart may desire.

I can refer you to Dewald Visser, who heard the setup as is, and also JesseJon who used the 518ia with Devore speakers.

One problem: I lost the remote, though I am sure that it will come out eventually. The 518ia served as a poweramp connected to a Conrad Johnson pre-amp, and since I did not use the 518's remote, it got misplaced, somehow... :walled:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:24:03 PM by Family_Dog »

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
Re: For sle: Line Magnetic 518ia
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
Some pictures: (If you have a reasonable DAC you want to sell,swop, say up to R10k, I MIGHT consider working it into the deal)

The damage on right bottom:

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:53:22 PM »
Best buddies:

My Dynaco monoblocks will have to come out of retirement. Just for interest's sake, size difference between 845 tube on Line Magnetic, and KT88 on Dynaco:

Offline irengineer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • An IT guy's view on the world
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:03:52 AM »
Are the Tannoys for sale too? Would love to own a big pair...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ďSomebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they donít have any surface noise.  I said, ďListen, mate, life has surface noise.Ē 

John Peel ( the longest serving of the original BBC Radio1 DJs)

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »
Hehe, nah, the Tannoys are not going anywhere, even if I have to survive on cabbage and potatoes!

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »

Product features
Twenty-two watts per channel, Single Ended Triode design, Pure Class A Integrated Stereo
  Amplifier with 845 output power tubes.
.All tube Integrated with 12AX7 input tubes for voltage amplification, 6P3P driver tubes, 5AR4
  rectifier tubes and 845 output tubes. Driver tubes 6P3P can also be replaced by different kinds
  of driver tubes and you can select which tubes you prefer judging by different sounds.
.4 pairs of inputs and speaker terminals for 4, 8 and 16 ohm speakers are located on the back panel.
.User bias control has been used for bias adjustment and one meter has been added to the front
 plate to allow you to monitor bias with ease.
.External Hum Balance adjustment for sound adjustment.
.Specially designed EI transformers for power supply and two EI output transformers with wide
 bandwidth are applied.
.Japanese ALPS volume potentiometer, German N-cap coupling capacitors etc Audio grade
 components have been applied.
.Standard with remote control.
.Hand made construction with the finest point-to-point wiring.
.Soft Start and time-delay circuit. (30 seconds).

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:49:28 PM »
An unbiased look under the hood (with pictures), oscilloscope readings, build quality, etc.:

http://marantzhallo-fi.blogspot.com/2017/01/line-magnetic-lm-518ia-review.html

Please note: price for the LM518ia two years ago was +-R65k

Offline KlyvQ

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • i'Numba mayik'bambile... ayik'Yeki...
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
Stunning amp and very beautiful...  :notworthy:

- kQ
(.) Sweet Spot (.)

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »
Ill try find you a buyer...even if I have to export it  :rubhands:
Damn nice amp!!!
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline Strainger

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
Thank you, Francois!

The amp is totally stunning, true! it has this knack of totallly disappearing into the music, bringing everything  into blissful harmony with a velvet fist,

Now if only I can do something about the more-than-slight scratch on the front right corner... it will help.

And also the lost remote: Im turning my house over - nobody is above suspicion, not even my llittle 2years old niece... she looks WAAAY to smug and sweet   - does not compute in my book!

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 05:46:01 PM »
Lol poor niece.

Just canít help to think and also ask it.
Is this Another example that Achim always moan about of most probably a Grt amp( just cause I never heard it myself, but by all indications it is ) at a good price and because itís not the usual SA hyped stuff itís still sitting here .. I think Francois is right and most probably know that overseas markets will jump at this and perhaps even for a greater profit ..

If I was still into rabbit hole chasing this would be a bucket list item , I mean really 845 SET class a .. everywhere you read this configuration  is very close to end game( just add efficient speakers) , most rate then better than 2a3 , which most rate better than 300b and those are not Mickey Mouse either.
+ this looks nice also.

GLWS ..

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Blue Bull

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Chris
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »
Great amp ...Practical question: Tube replacement in the future.Who in SA will be willing to help with 845 sourcing ?

( I find dealers very willing to sell you gear but very unwilling when it comes to ordering replacement tubes )
Merlin VSM MXr Master BAM/Unison Research T25 /Mark Levinson 36/Sony 790/PS Audio UPC200/Transp Ultra PowerLink/SignalCable pwrcords/Monster M1500i M1000i/Transp Super MM2 sp c / Manley Stingray II/Revel M22/Cardas G Ref sp cable.The Gryphon Callisto 2100

Offline Spurge

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
If you have a dog go check in garden for buried remote. Niece & dog may be in cahoots.

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 06:55:16 PM »
I am ordering tubes tonight. Easy to get, hell to pay  :D

With a substantial order I ALWAYS do fedex, its $110 or so but straight to my door.

No more "Hey Sah, dese lamps, you cannot bring dem in like dis"  :ROFLMAO:
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline wjvrens

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
  • For the love of music
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 07:46:53 PM »
Sad that you have to sell.  :vsad:

Would also be heart broken if I had to sell mine, very special amps. May it find a good home

R35k is a steal for it