Author Topic: Samsung Q6FN & Denon X1400H ARC issues  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Freakboy

Samsung Q6FN & Denon X1400H ARC issues
« on: November 23, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »
I'm having issues with using ARC on my X1400H when I have anything plug into the HDMI inputs.
Been struggling the whole week to get it to work and tired of pulling out the HDMI cables to test :headbanger:

When I have nothing plugged into the X1400H then Q6FN picks it up immediately and enables ARC. Everything fine and Netflix app give 5.1 sound.
Issue comes in now that when I plug in anything from my PS4 to Apple TV to HTPC the Q6FN "forgets" that HDMI4 was the X1400H and now displays unknown.

If I try to get the Q6FN to rescan and recognises the X1400H it doesn't pick it up and I have to manually select that this is a Denon reciver.
Volume controls then work on the receiver using the TV remote, but I have to now plug in a optical cable for any sound to work.

I have tried every combination of HDMI PassThrough, HDMI Control, ARC and TV Audio Switching I could do but nothing works when I have anything connected to Input 1-5.
Plug everything out, remove and reset cable on TV and it magically recognises the receiver and ARC then works.

I did some research and found out that earlier this year there was a problem with Samsung QLED TVs and Denon AVRs but firmware for both where release that was to fix this issues.
Something to do with EDID timing being increased on the QLEDs to allow for VRR.

I have even tried new "High Speed Ethernet 18Gb/s" cables for all connection and nothing  :sd:
For the love of me I cannot understand why when plugging something into the receiver the ARC connection disappears.
I first thought that it might be the HTPC but when only using my AppleTV or PS4/Xbox it does the same.

Anything I might have missed or am I going to have to live with the optical cable?

Offline isaac3201

Re: Samsung Q6FN & Denon X1400H ARC issues
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 10:10:43 AM »
Had something similar with a pioneer elite avr . Try dissble hdmi control on the other devices
OLED55C7,LG UP970 4k Blu-ray,Apple TV4K,Marantz SR5012,Rotel RB985,B&W 685s2,B&W HTM62s2 ,B&W AM-1 rears,B&W CCM362,SVS SB1000

Offline Freakboy

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
Had something similar with a pioneer elite avr . Try dissble hdmi control on the other devices

You mean on the HTPC, AppleTV, etc and keep it switch on on the TV & Receiver.

Offline Audioholic

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
If any of your devices CEC enabled - try disabling the CEC function on the TV.

I have a Samsung-Onkyo combination and the ARC sometimes breaks its link when i toggle between source devices. I normally disconnect the onkyo power cable for a few seconds and then it works. Quite an annoyance.

Hoping you get this figured out so you can share the fix with us.

All the best.
Stereo: Pioneer, pioneer and more pioneer, Valve Audio, Sonor Audio, Audiolab
HT: Onkyo, Energy, Velodyne

Offline isaac3201

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
You mean on the HTPC, AppleTV, etc and keep it switch on on the TV & Receiver.
yes
OLED55C7,LG UP970 4k Blu-ray,Apple TV4K,Marantz SR5012,Rotel RB985,B&W 685s2,B&W HTM62s2 ,B&W AM-1 rears,B&W CCM362,SVS SB1000

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 07:27:47 AM »
Its a common issue with samsung tvs Arc does not work so well , just use optical out from tv
less headaches
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:35:24 AM »
Its a common issue with samsung tvs Arc does not work so well , just use optical out from tv
less headaches

Not just Samsung, I find CEC in general very unpredictable - agree with using optical instead. Might not be as satisfying as the notion of using a single cable, but it's so much more straightforward and stable.

Offline jvr

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 10:55:00 AM »
Just a quick question from the side...my TV has an ARC HDMI port, but no other audio out option, while my AVR does not have the ARC HDMI. Can I somehow use the TV's ARC HDMI to output the audio and use any one of the AVR's HDMI incoming ports on the other end?
Lend me your ears

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »
Just a quick question from the side...my TV has an ARC HDMI port, but no other audio out option, while my AVR does not have the ARC HDMI. Can I somehow use the TV's ARC HDMI to output the audio and use any one of the AVR's HDMI incoming ports on the other end?

The Samsung UA50HU7000? It has an optical out. As far as I'm aware, ARC only works between ARC HDMI ports.

Offline jvr

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »
Oh gosh, so it has. I looked for it quite a few times, but I have now found it with the help of the manual...and it was right in front of my eyes, never really hidden! Embarrassed, I am.
Lend me your ears

Offline Freakboy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »
Ok I have tried switching off the CEC on the devices but still no joy.
Once again when I unplug everything and only have the X1400H plugged in does the ARC work.

Things got so bad at one point that I had to do the power button reboot on the AVR as it suddenly after a power-up didn't recognise any sound coming from any input ports.
Nothing got recognise with any HDMI port or sound input options until the reboot.

I will try and play again this weekend but think I'm just going to give up and use the optical output for now.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
Ok I have tried switching off the CEC on the devices but still no joy.
Once again when I unplug everything and only have the X1400H plugged in does the ARC work.

Things got so bad at one point that I had to do the power button reboot on the AVR as it suddenly after a power-up didn't recognise any sound coming from any input ports.
Nothing got recognise with any HDMI port or sound input options until the reboot.

I will try and play again this weekend but think I'm just going to give up and use the optical output for now.

Are you routing all your components through the AVR, or are you connecting some directly to the TV?

ARC doesn't pass along other components connected through HDMI to the TV, it's intended to make use of your TV itself as a source (native apps and broadcast material), all other sources should be routed through the AVR - plugging other components into the TV will muddle the setup.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:46:25 AM by KenMasters »

Offline Freakboy

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 05:57:27 AM »
Yes everything is routed through the AVR.

Would love to have the Xbox connected to the TV for Freesync but then sound will not work with ARC as you mentioned.
If I can get a 4K HDR Freesync/VRR 1-to-2 Passive Passthrough Splitter I might connect the Xbox to the TV but that is another issue on it own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk