Bizarre Xbox One Controller Disconnection Issue

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidri

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
So.

I've been very frustrated with what I at first believed was really poor battery life on my Xbox One controllers.
Sometimes just an hour or two, sometimes a little more, maybe 3-4.
No consistency with the behaviour at all.

Naturally, I did a bit of googling and found several cases of people complaining about controller disconnection issues.
So perhaps nothing to do with batteries at all.
Lots of advice being dispensed, mostly to do with moving the console as far away from your router as possible.
Working theory being that wifi signals from the router interfere with the console/controller connection, causing dropouts.
And since no one definitively seems to know whether the Xbox One uses the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band, I had some testing to do.

I completely disabled the 5GHz band on the router (this made things worse),
and then the 2.4GHz band (things got a little better, but the disconnections continued).
I was literally about to pack the whole thing in and return it for service or replacement when I happened to notice that the wireless sub of my LG Soundbar was also disconnecting at times. (The soundbar is positioned very close to the XB1.)
Could these two components somewhow be interacting to cause the disconnections?
I switched the soundbar off (hello horrible Samsung built-in audio) and fired the Xbox up again.

Well what do you know.
Three or four sessions later and I haven't had any more disconnections.
And the same batteries have stayed in the controller this whole time.
Of course, the situation isn't ideal, but I'm 90% sure now this interaction is the cause of the trouble.
Problem solved.. kind of. Bad TV sound isn't that conducive to immersion.
And I've never experienced any issues like this with a PS3, PS4 or even the old Xbox 360.
Is it Microsoft's fault? Is it LG's fault Or is it no one's fault, just my weird luck?