Author Topic: Blu Ray PLayer Audio Options  (Read 614 times)

Offline santoshlv426

Blu Ray PLayer Audio Options
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:06:02 AM »
I've been looking for a good blu ray player that is "good" for CD playback as well. Something similar to the Sony 350, which has the capability of playing SACD's so it must have a pretty good DA converter.
I have noticed with some of the advertised Samsung, LG and Panasonic in the < R2000 price bracket that it's only capable of 2.0 audio and not 5.1.
Is this correct as I thought any Blu Ray or DVD player output's audio in 5.1 for the appropriately encoded disc.
Those players I mention state it's capable of DTS, Dolby Digital but in 2.0.

Offline KenMasters

Re: Blu Ray PLayer Audio Options
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
Most players are not going to offer multi-channel analogue out, in fact many don't even offer stereo anymore. For analogue surround you'll have to look at a more premium player.

If you stick with the HDMI out, multi-channel won't be a problem and it removes the need for a good internal DAC.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
Most bluray players simply passes the audio stream out to the AVR via HDMI. Decoding is done by the AV Receiver.

Some of the older high-end DVD players had on-board decoding with a 5.1 output on the player. The Oppo's still do this, as can be seen from this BD-103

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
this is really confusing. Does this mean all Blu Ray players, as long as using HDMI will output the full audio track (5.1) ?
what about if it's a avi. or MP4 file on a flash disc. The Sony for example pick's up that the track is either 2.0 Channel Stereo or 5.1.

I had an old Pioneer - purchased around 2002 DVD player that had a Coaxial and Optical Digital out specifically for 5.1 channel tracks. Did that Pioneer then have it's own 5.1 sound decoder ?

Offline DEE

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »
Yes you correct all Blu ray players will out the full 5.1 using an HDMI cable.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
I had an old Pioneer - purchased around 2002 DVD player that had a Coaxial and Optical Digital out specifically for 5.1 channel tracks. Did that Pioneer then have it's own 5.1 sound decoder ?

On the player side no decoder is needed, you can just bitstream the audio data to the AVR - it will then do the decoding and digital to analogue conversion. The player would only need a decoder if you wanted to send the audio as PCM, though the AVR would still do the digital to analogue conversion.

Offline Gerlach

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »
I own a Samsung BD j7500 that runs 7.1 outputs. My ARC chip on my Marantz SR7005 HDMI side is dead, so I'm using the 7.1 outputs of the BD to connect to the input of the SR7005 and to do decoding.

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline jvr

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »
this is really confusing. Does this mean all Blu Ray players, as long as using HDMI will output the full audio track (5.1) ?
what about if it's a avi. or MP4 file on a flash disc. The Sony for example pick's up that the track is either 2.0 Channel Stereo or 5.1.
I had an old Pioneer - purchased around 2002 DVD player that had a Coaxial and Optical Digital out specifically for 5.1 channel tracks.
In case there is still confusion...as KenMasters said, if you output the bitstream (which is the native digital audio from the disc; in the case of a DVD or bluray you select it from the disc menu) from the Bluray player, the AVR will pick up that audio codec and convert it as it is, i.e. in stereo or multichannel, in Dolby, DTS, or PCM. You may use HDMI, coax, or optical, but HDMI can deal with HD video as well as the high resolution audio codecs that are available on bluray. So if you play a CD, the native 16bit/44.1khz stereo signal will be transferred, received by the AVR/Amp and played back accordingly, unless you select another playback mode.
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
Just getting back to your original post. Afaik there are still many universal players with pretty decent DAC's doing the rounds, but you find them among the hifi brands such as Yamaha, Marantz, etc.
Lend me your ears

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 11:17:46 AM »
JVR,
thanks for that detailed response. Now it's 98% clear.
The need is a player that can play Blu Ray and DVD in multichannel format, but it must also be able to deliver good quality (close to a dedicated CDP) music in standard CD Stereo.
I've seen Yamaha makes such a unit - BDA 1060 which apparently was made to take on Oppo, which I'm lead to believe is a leader in the field.
Does anyone have any experience with this Yamaha in terms of it's ability for CD's e.g. how would it stack up against the Yamaha CDS1000 ?
Then Marantz has a player UD 7007 which is considerably more expensive.
The other unit by Yamaha is the BDP 681
It will definitely be used more for music than the occasional CD/DVD.
With the old Pioneer DVD, would it be better for when I play CD's to use either the Coax or Optical out to the AVR and let the AVR do the Digital to Analogue conversion using IT"S DAC rather than the Pioneer's DAC doing the work and it's the DAC that changes the quality of the sound, right ?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
The SONY ES blu-ray player I use will decode 5.1 SACDs.   On some recording, there is a worthwhile bit of ambience, for the most it is hardly noticeable.   Stereo is more than adequate

It will also do DTS, etc for suitable DVDs.   One, Carmen from the Metropolitan Opera Co is outstanding.
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
Chris, Sony is no longer here and I have been reading their player reviews and it's very good.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
JVR,
thanks for that detailed response. Now it's 98% clear.
The need is a player that can play Blu Ray and DVD in multichannel format, but it must also be able to deliver good quality (close to a dedicated CDP) music in standard CD Stereo.

This would mean you're planning to make use of both the digital and analogue output? If you're only using HDMI it's a moot point since the player has no hand in sound quality.

With the old Pioneer DVD, would it be better for when I play CD's to use either the Coax or Optical out to the AVR and let the AVR do the Digital to Analogue conversion using IT"S DAC rather than the Pioneer's DAC doing the work and it's the DAC that changes the quality of the sound, right ?

It's the DAC that matters yes, and the answer to your question depends on which component has the better DAC. And if you can't tell a difference between the two, does it matter?

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »
Quite correct Ken, if the diffences are inaudible - there's no point.
The Pioneer is old (circa 2004) and the amp has the ESS Sabre DAC, so I'm assuming the Amps DAC is better
I actually have heard a Sony Blu Ray (which is SACD capable) and compared the stereo audio to a dedicated CDP (Burr Brown DAC) and yes, there difference is there - more from a soundstage and transparency perspective.

Offline jvr

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
The stereo purists seem to agree that dedicated stereo components outperform similar multi-purpose components and furthermore that stand-alone DAC's sound better than others. Its a bit of a contentious issue and a variety of (some sound) reasons are normally given. In my own experience I find my stand-alone DAC to be in a different sound category than my universal player, or AVR (both are a bit dated though), so it was well-worth it for stereo playback. I suppose it will depend on the particulars of each set-up.
Lend me your ears