Headphone and amp recommendations

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dash09

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and also very inexperienced with audio equipment, I'm more of a pc guy. But recently I've been listening to music more often and feel its time to improve my experience.
I need advice/recommendations for a headphone and an amp (2 separate applications)

Firstly the headphones:
I need something portable for use on travels and in the office. Over ear as I cannot do more than 15 minutes with something on ear. Wired since my phone (v30+) is the source and it has a fairly decent dac.
Now I've used a colleagues B&W P7 wireless and I'm just about settled on it. Its the right size, rugged and built well enough for travelling, and sounds brilliant. I've even got a wanted ad up for it already.
Is there anything else out there similar(in size, build, and sound quality) to the P7 that I should consider?
Budget = +-R2500

Now the amp:
I recently ordered a hd58x jubilee, super excited to receive it but theres still a long wait ahead. This headphone will be used solely at home on my pc. Currently I have an asus xonar mkii external soundcard as I do game quite a bit (not competitively).
I have 0 knowledge of amps but I have been told that with open backs a tube amp is recommended, thus I've been looking around for these. I initially wanted to buy 1 of those el cheapos from amazon, like the Nobsound, just to try it out and get a feel for tubes, but I reconsidered and would rather buy something fairly decent albeit entry level that can actually last me a while. I'll be using these headphones for gaming as well as music.
I've seen good comments on the Littledot mk 2/3. It is also at a decent price.
Is tube the way to go? If so then what is similar to the Littledot that wont break the bank?
Budget = Under R3000