Author Topic: Bass trap build (at last!)  (Read 19028 times)

Offline DRNB

Re: Bass trap build (at last!)
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
From my 1 hour experience in a completely dead sound recording room (even the little desk and mic stand had felt on it :D ), and how that freaked me out (sounds like you are wearing an invisible pillow on your head or something), .....................

Just as a matter of interrest, many people makes the mistake to think a recording room should be dead. If you look at propper recording studios that is however not the case. Bass should be trapped as far as possible, while the studio itself should have a certain amount of reflections in it still, however the modal ringing should be kept small. Reflections under 2ms (IIRC) should be eliminated by absorption, and the RT60 (time that it takes the sound to drop with 60 db) should be controlled  controlled. Sorry, I can not remember the ideal time durations, apart from a dead room is a BIG no-no. Some of the links I posted earlier in this thread explains it perfectly though.
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline JimGore

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
Hey Ian

How much would you charge to make me a set of these?
To be entirely honest with you, it isn't something I would like to do again any time soon - I found it highly tiresome and un-exiting to build.  That being said, if you really don't want to do them yourself I would be willing to build them for R 2.5k each.

Regards,
Ian.

Offline Stereophreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
    • Danie Hattingh Art
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 11:44:37 AM »
Just as a matter of interrest, many people makes the mistake to think a recording room should be dead. If you look at propper recording studios that is however not the case. Bass should be trapped as far as possible, while the studio itself should have a certain amount of reflections in it still, however the modal ringing should be kept small. Reflections under 2ms (IIRC) should be eliminated by absorption, and the RT60 (time that it takes the sound to drop with 60 db) should be controlled  controlled. Sorry, I can not remember the ideal time durations, apart from a dead room is a BIG no-no. Some of the links I posted earlier in this thread explains it perfectly though.

I could have been clearer, but it seemed off topic - this recording room was very specifically for voice over work only. My own voice sounded awesome! They feed it back to you on the headphones, and I'm sure they fiddle with it on the desk first, because I really did sound like Shadow Stevens or something. In any case, I've seen recording studio's set up in bathrooms (Depeche Mode iirc?), so I guess sometimes a dead room is exactly the opposite of what you want?

Another weird effect of the dead room is that you feel like you should be TALKING REALLY LOUDLY! because you get no feedback from the room, and it feels like your voice is just falling flat on the floor in front of you, until the other guy starts talking, and you realise you can hear him fine. :D

I was just saying I think deadening resonance and reflections selectively could make a HUGE difference based on that experience, and I definitely don't think a dead room would be a pleasant listening experience.