Author Topic: Bass trap build (at last!)  (Read 13115 times)

Offline JimGore

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Bass trap build (at last!)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »
Status update:

I finished these off to the point where I was usnig them last night.  Man, what a difference this is making to my system.  Literally everything is better, from the bass right through to the high frequencies.  I think the extra height is helping alot as well.  They also look a damn sight better than the pink rolls I used to have  ;D

Photos:

Lining the inside of the frames with batting, and over that goes a much denser version which they call "compressed batting".  Similar in thickness and texture to felt.  These are stapled in to hold them in place:

Next, I cut up a whole load of think pink into strips:

Which I then cut into triangles, and put into the frames.  I tried to get as much of it in as possible, so it is quite dense and compressed:

Next, added a couple of layers of all different things over the think-pink.  Had to include my dog blankets of course:

After which I applied the black fabric covers.  Here you can see how I fasten it down with staples:

And this is how I fold and finish the bottoms and corners:

Two done, two to go:

Next, I put some white oak through the thicknesser / planer and sawed them up to make these boomerangs:

Boomerangs sanded down:

Boomerangs fit nicely on the top and bottom of the bass trap:

The new look in my lounge:

Offline JimGore

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
Finally, let's do a costing on this project.  This costing will be to build 4x bass traps as shown in the pictures above:

(1x) Sheet of shutter plywood @ R 220
(1x) Roll of think-pink (or isotherm, whichever you prefer)  - 100mm thickness @ R 220
(1x) 100ml wood glue @ R 20
(100x) brad nails (or screws) to make the frames @ R 10
(250x) staples @ R 35

3m chicken wire @ R 90

4m Batting from your local material shop @ R 100
4m Compressed batting (of felt) @ R 120
3m Black material for covering them up @ R 150

2.5m white oak for the trim bits @ R 200

Total comes to R 1165, so that just short of R 300 each.  Not too bad, and worth every cent!

Cheers,
Ian.

Offline ByronH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Squirrel!
    • Foundry
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:28 PM »
The completed traps look great Ian 8) I bet you're going to get asked a couple of times whether they're additional loudspeakers :D I have to ask, how did you go about cutting up all that Think Pink? I get the itches just looking at the stuff!

Offline ByronH

• AVForums Veteran
  • Squirrel!
    • Foundry
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
Total comes to R 1165, so that just short of R 300 each.  Not too bad, and worth every cent!

You've sold me on some traps ;) I just need to figure out how to secure a high enough WAF...

Offline NoSnipeLimit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Living life @ 1hz
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
They sure do look good Ian.  Good work.
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

Offline faultysa

• AVForums Member
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Guys, i was at Ian's earlier today as he was finishing them off. I wont lie i have heard a number of different types of music on a couple different speakers. On the HE speakers currently setup the sound is totally different.

These Bass Traps really do work incredibly well, my thought is all that Think Pink and the design are responsible for an incredible silencing of the stray bass in the room.

Absolutely incredible for me to enjoy Tracy Chapman again. Well done Ian, simple idea turned into another master piece.
Stereo is still best Boys!

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »
Looks great and no doubt the setup sounds great too.  Don't laugh at my panels when you see them.  :-\
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »
That looks great Ian!!! Have you ever done measurements to see before/after effects?

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline johnc

• AVForums Veteran
  • It's only rubbish until you need it.
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
Nice work.  :)
It would be really good to see a frequency response graph with and without the bass traps.  ::)
Go to the centre of the gravity's pull, and find your planet you will.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »
Quite inspiring! I unfortunately can't use this format of bass trap in my home. May have to go for those rectangular wall-mounted absorbers (forget what they're called now).

It would be really good to see a frequency response graph with and without the bass traps.  ::)

Room EQ Wizard is very good for this; HOLMimpulse does not appear to have the low frequency resolution; never tried SoundEasy's RTA.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline JimGore

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 07:26:11 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. 

I am highly impressed with the difference these made to my sound.  After installing them I actually tamed the midrange and tweeter in my HE speakers a bit, and I now have a much more balanced sound overall.

how did you go about cutting up all that Think Pink? I get the itches just looking at the stuff!
I wore a long sleeve shirt out of thick material.  Also some nice yellow dish-washing gloves which I pulled over the shirt.  Next, one of those mouth and nose covering dust masks.  I did the cutting using a long piece of 3mm MDF as a ruler, and an NT cutter (knife with long blade which breaks off in sections).

I used 2 blades to cut all the stuff with.  The glass blunts the cutting edge quite fast.

I just need to figure out how to secure a high enough WAF...
Easy - let her choose the fabric to cover them in  ;)

Don't laugh at my panels when you see them.
No worries - I can behave when I need to ;D

That looks great Ian!!! Have you ever done measurements to see before/after effects?
Nope, but I will do some for you.  Perhaps next weekend or so.

Cheers,
Ian.

Offline Hennie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
Easy - let her choose the fabric to cover them in  ;)

Ian, I think you have married well!

Offline Stereophreak

• AVForums Veteran
  • I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
    • Danie Hattingh Art
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »
Personally, I think the roll of Thinkpink was a little more aesthetically pleasing, but it's the sound that matters hey?

Seriously though, that looks great! From my 1 hour experience in a completely dead sound recording room (even the little desk and mic stand had felt on it :D ), and how that freaked me out (sounds like you are wearing an invisible pillow on your head or something), I really think this could make a big difference in the sound too. 

Offline DRNB

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »
Looking very good Ian. I can just imagine they should work beautifully if I look at the area coverred by the traps.

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline creyneke

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »
Hey Ian

How much would you charge to make me a set of these?