Author Topic: Influence of furniture on bass response  (Read 4438 times)

Offline KenMasters

Re: Influence of furniture on bass response
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »
There's something in my apartment that sucks a bit of bass between 60-80hz. I've always assumed it was my couches. I guess it could also very well be the soundproofed drywall.

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
That sounds like the one...
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »
I'm glad that Audiomuze got positive improvements by adding the ottoman to his room. It would be very interesting to see the changes it made in both frequency and time domains.
Sorry, I've nothing to measure with.  Someday soon I may invest in a decent mic and start experimenting in there - any suggestions?
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:55:33 PM »
Fair enough, Goneten!
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline WD

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »

A very good PDF article by a certain Jack Bouska for designing a listening room can be found here:
http://jgbouska.tripod.com/audio/room_design.pdf

Has a handy table of absorption coefficients for various furnishings and building materials - it can be seen that couches and heavy curtains are some of the best at absorbing certain frequencies.
The man's room that he builds is very ugly, but the various tables are very informative.

Offline WD

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »
Mentioned in the above article and also worth a read:

http://www.harmanaudio.com/all_about_audio/loudspeakers_rooms.pdf