New Toy, Audio Technica ATH-AD700

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrat

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Ok so I had to wait for them for nearly two months...... but was it worth it.

Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700-open-back-headphones.jpg

First off, the negatives. These are not the last word in low frequency. The bass sounds more controlled, with no in-your-face thump. Make no mistake, its there, but very controlled. I now get what they mean with bass being "taut".

That's the only weakness. Only that one.

Now, for the strengths.....

First off, the soundstage on this is humongous. Sure it's the 53mm drivers that helps, but it has
an accuracy, I can pick the instruments from the stage. It wraps you in the instruments, rather than firing them at you from left and right to an absolute center.

Next, the mids and highs on this are absolutely amazing, but no fatigue. Had these on for four hours straight now, and loving every second. I'm still bringing up tracks I've forgotten already, and it's like hearing them for the first time. I'm picking up a lot of new detail, and even some in reference tracks I know by heart.

This is everything I want in a set of cans. And they have only had about ten hours of play. And I'm running it from my pc sound card. I can't imagine them getting any better, but will most certainly not complain if they do.

And they are Seriously comfy and lightweight. The guys at the office had a chuckle at me, since they are quite big and make me look a tad like a space invader, but the expression on their faces changed quite quickly when they put them on and had a listen.

My previous set of cans were the Sennheiser HD515, but they have been well and truly relegated. Eventhough they come in at the bottom end of cans, these AT's outshine them by a magnitude.

Yummy new toy. Sie-rie-aaaas!