Audio Science Review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow.clone

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I quite enjoy reading Amir's DAC reviews on ASR. He sticks to his test results and doesn't pollute his reviews with subjectivity, allowing readers to make their own conclusions.

He recently posted a rather shocking review of the Audio-gd NFB28.28 over here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-audio-gd-nfb28-28-dac-and-headphone-amp.5147/. Perhaps there is some truth to the bashing certain Audio-gd products face on SBAF? Admittedly, some of the distortion on the NFB28.28 is quite low down and may not be audible, but I think it's refreshing to have someone call out manufacturers for poor performance in their products (anomalies or otherwise). I feel this benefits the community greatly - SMSL, for example, are sending Amir another review sample of the SU-8 to review, so I presume this unit will have fixed/lessened the distortion he measured on its unbalanced outputs (I doubt cherry picking the review sample will remove this distortion, so its probably firmware/circuit refinements).

I have no reason to doubt the validity/reliability of his results. What do you guys think of his reviews?

PS: I do believe that cables make a difference. I mention it in case you think I listen through an oscilloscope.
PPS: I've posted here as Audio-gd are well known in the headphone community and the NFB28.28 is an all in one unit. Mods, please move to the DAC section if needed.