Author Topic: Apple TV Question ( 4k model)  (Read 460 times)

Offline optimus

Apple TV Question ( 4k model)
« on: November 09, 2018, 01:50:04 PM »
Friday dumb question time .

My Apple TV is connected to AVR .

Is it possible to adjust the volume on the ATV and not the AVR ?

Its the only one of my source units where i have to adjust the AVR volume and not the source volume

Offline JoziNic

Re: Apple TV Question ( 4k model)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:16:11 PM »
Are you asking how you use the ATV's remote to adjust volume instead fo the remote for your AVR? I'm sure there is, I think I saw it under settings...
try: Adjust HDMI-CEC and volume settings on your Apple TV. Go to Settings > Remotes and Devices, then choose the following: Control TVs and Receivers: Choose whether your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote automatically turns on your television or receiver...
more info here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205225
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »
Your AVR should be able to adjust the relative volume of each input independently, scratch around in your settings.

Offline optimus

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »
Apologies chaps . I am not being clear.

I want to be bale to leave the  AVR volume in one place and use the volume control of the source .

I am able to do this with DSTV and Media Player but Apple TV volume control has zero effect . I have fiddled in the settings to no avail .

Offline XL1000

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 06:10:53 PM »
I donít believe that is the ideal approach. If you use variable volume on DSTV you cannot have the decoder output Dolby?
You should select fixed volume output in user settings and control the volume with the AVR.
Leave the Apple TV as is too. No volume control there so....
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
Apologies chaps . I am not being clear.

I want to be bale to leave the  AVR volume in one place and use the volume control of the source .

I am able to do this with DSTV and Media Player but Apple TV volume control has zero effect . I have fiddled in the settings to no avail .

Sonically itís perhaps the worst place to do volume.  I understand why one might want to as source remote with volume is likely more comprehensive than any avr or learning remote.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline naughty

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 06:34:56 PM »
I donít believe that is the ideal approach. If you use variable volume on DSTV you cannot have the decoder output Dolby?
You should select fixed volume output in user settings and control the volume with the AVR.

totally wholeheartedly agree with this particular approach - even more so with the media player because if you play any HD audio (DTS-HD(ma) and Dolby TrueHD) files with the media player you want to bitstream otherwise your source is no longer HD audio and will downsample to the core audio files ie (DTS and Dolby Digital) instead - so when connecting via HDMI set everything to bitstream and use the volume control on the AVR .... the other way definitely will result in inferior audio

Offline RaWKiS_CT

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 06:24:21 AM »

Correct, you do not get dolby with variable on DSTV. Controlling volume from AVR still means you are controlling from a single point/remote.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 08:08:34 AM »
You cannot.  I have this model and the volume is fixed.
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline isaac3201

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 08:11:35 AM »
The volume on Apple TV 4K can only be adjusted on the end device (tv or avr). The android boxes have their own volume level that can be adjusted independently from the tv or AVR
LG OLED55C7, Pioneer BDP-180, Marantz SR5012 , Polk Audio s50 fronts , Polk Audio s35 Center , Polk Audio fxi A4 surrounds (bipole), Polk Audio RC60I (atmos) , B&W ASW610 subwoofer

Offline Larry

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »
Ideally - set any external devices at the appropriate levels (DSTV included) then forget that they have volume control and just use the AVR.

No more volume control issues...

Edit: when I used to have DSTV I solved the problem with a Logitech universal remote.  Operated all devices from that (including my old ATV) and volume buttons were configured to work on AVR.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:26:20 AM by Larry »

Offline naughty

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »
if you have any device set to bitstream its signal, then the volume cannot be controlled by that device - the signal is totally fixed

and you should really set it to bitstream and output a fixed signal because that gives it the chance to output at its highest possible format - hence highest quality levels ie Dolby digital or DTS in the case of things like DSTV decoders and DTS-HD (ma) or Dolby TrueHD in the case of Blu-ray or media players .... to me, and this is being brutally honest you are asking for lower quality by making the source device do the volume control since then you are telling it not to output at its highest quality format .... so you totally lose out beacause you are asking it to downsample and downscale

im sorry but this is why things like surround sound and AVRs get a bad rap (or poor reputation) because they are not being allowed to show you their best performance that they can muster ie its the settings at fault not the equipment - get the settings right and yo will be rewarded with great performance even if it causes you slight inconvenience in your mind - ie you need to learn a new way of doing things

yes some people feel that you need to let a high quality source do the decoding instead of the AVR but then you should be connecting via the 7 or 8 analog interconnects instead of HDMI in that instance (which most source devices nowadays do not let you do) so if you do connect via HDMI ... which a majority of people still do then you need to let the AVR do all the work ie volume levels and EQ and distance settings .... if you want to use those .... but at a basic level the source needs to send a fixed output to the AVR and any (and all) processing IMHO needs to be done at the AVR (in case i wasnt clear enough in my post up somewhere above in this thread)

Offline optimus

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
Thanks for the input and advice , gents .