DIY QRD Diffusers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi

I know this does not really constitute DIY Audio related and the build does not live up to the great DIY builds that have been posted on this forum, however, it is audio related and my 1st project so I thought I would post it.

As my speakers are open baffle and hence fire backwards as well as forwards I was concerned about the 1st reflection points on the front walls. After trolling the internet regarding how best to treat the front walls, it became clear that there was a vast difference of opinion relating to treating front walls and particular with OB speakers. After applying my own logic to how OB's are supposed to work I came to the conclusion that it would be better to diffuse than to absorb.  :( Absorbing is much easier than diffusing.

I decided that I wanted something that was modular that I could move around and try in different locations if necessary so I ended up with a design that has 23 wells and works out at about 670 wide. I would need a minimum of 4 of these to give reasonable coverage.  I also decided that I would use MDF with a real wood veneer. The exterior would be 16mm with real wood edging and the fins 3mm MDF with real wood edging.

So the build began.