Author Topic: Anyone else do this?  (Read 625 times)

Offline ScottulusMaximus

Anyone else do this?
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »
So after ditching the AVR set up and going back to stereo I had to come up with a solution for the Shield and Nintendo Switch sound to get into my Karel mars pre-amp, so I got myself and HDMI ARC DAC(that's a lot of acronyms) so I could use the TV as the switching component:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWLMWHQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now this worked fine but intermittently the ARC connection would drop requiring the TV to be unplugged to power cycle it which drove me mental.

So I got thinking and researching and discovered most, if not all, modern TV's still have an optical out. And most, if not all, decent DAC's have an optical in. So why not try that! Got myself a Cambridge DAC magic from ebay.co.uk and now I can have a decent digital experience paired with a completely separated analog setup in the same system!

Quite proud of myself actually...
Importing made easy!

Offline KenMasters

Re: Anyone else do this?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
I find ARC more of a hassle than anything else myself as well, just stick with optical out. The other useful aspect of using optical is it's a good way to sync the picture with your sound solution as usually it allows you to play the audio through both. Just play the audio through both at a matching volume and adjust delay until they sync up (also a good way to figure out input delay).

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »
Yip. Thats how I connect my laptop to my stereo set up, as my preferred dac has no USB but has optical. I also cast from my cell to my tv and thus can use the dac in the same way.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline ron g

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »

did the same for a while. optical out into fiio d3 usb powered dac - 599 from cplan & 24/192 capable.
very similar sound to fiio x3 dap.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Bruce M

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 07:14:15 PM »
Yip. Thats how I connect my laptop to my stereo set up, as my preferred dac has no USB but has optical. I also cast from my cell to my tv and thus can use the dac in the same way.
So you connect from your laptop to your TV using HDMI, and then from the TV optical to DAC and then RCA to stereo amp?

Offline ron g

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 07:48:41 PM »
So you connect from your laptop to your TV using HDMI, and then from the TV optical to DAC and then RCA to stereo amp?

that's what i did - except no laptop. since the little fiio is usb powered i use one of the tv's usb so now power cord required.
i am now using a powerdac - optical into powerdac then straight to speakers.

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
 :thumbs:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Online Nidri

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you have change for a paradigm?
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 06:06:21 AM »
Yeah that optical out is a blessing.

I'm using all 4 HDMI inputs on my TV.
A single Toslink cable to the soundbar,
and it's done. Simple.

Offline ScottulusMaximus

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 08:33:45 AM »
And I thought I was being so clever...

Always viewed optical as the ginger step-child of connections for some reason.
Importing made easy!

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 12:49:11 PM »
And I thought I was being so clever...

Always viewed optical as the ginger step-child of connections for some reason.
You had to see the look on my brother in law's face when I setup his this way :giggle: He thought it was sorcery  :BWAHAHAH:

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
I had a TV with no RCA out (I don't know why they would do such a thing), also ran a short optical into a small cheap DAC and then into my amp.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline Simango4

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
That was my problem as well, except that my problem was escalated by the need to display images either on the TV or Projector (needing distribution of each video source to both the TV & Projector), let alone audio to the stereo system.

So my solution was to use a 4x2 HDMI Matrix (4 inputs, 2 outputs) with an Optical Audio out:

So for audio from low quality audio sources like DSTV and Xbox, I use the Optical output from the HDMI matrix straight to my DAC's Toslink input, then only the high quality sources like the PC and CD transport sends digital audio directly via USB and Coax respectively to the DAC.

That way, both my audio and video problems were resolved without an AVR or Surround Processor.
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline ScottulusMaximus

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
It works really well actually, don't know where my negative perception of optical came from.

Most modern TV's do not have analogue out audio anymore.

I was toying with the idea of a switch box but that was yet another remote to teach the Mrs, yet another wall wart and I've had endless issues with the things over the years. For your use case there's not much choice though, I don't think any TV's would offer HDMI passthrough.
Importing made easy!

Offline ron g

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 04:00:57 PM »

i tried a splitter from hdcables previously.
it had a significant impact on picture quality with no noticable improvement in audo.