Author Topic: Blackbox TV - worth it?  (Read 496 times)

Offline naks

Blackbox TV - worth it?
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
http://blackboxtv.co.za/

Has anyone bought one?

I'm thinking it's worth it at R1400, with the extensive list of TV channels it has. They are working to get Sky Sports F1 on there as well, and if so, then I'm keen to try it.
LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Offline King_Julian_S

Re: Blackbox TV - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
No supersport ?
So if you have a smart Samsung one donít need to buy these just use your TV
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Dolby

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
It's blocked at my office ... is this the Cell C Black?
Or a different service altogether ?

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
I also thought it was the CellC Black, but seems to be a difference service altogether...
I myself would rather recommend the MIbox, it's R200 cheaper in some instances (depending on retailer), but the fact this box doesn't have netflix (means it isn't android/google certified AFAIK) & this thing says movies come from ZMTN? never heard of it, I wouldn't trust anything that doesn't allow you to put netflix on there...like how does the billing work? if there is zero subscription service a la netflix, HBO, showmax, dtsv now, something & it's purely a streaming box that taps into live stream it can IMO be stopped (or be seen as a pirate product) happy to be corrected but, yah I'd personally stay away & go with Mibox same price & has endless options
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline Dolby

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
but the fact this box doesn't have netflix (means it isn't android/google certified AFAIK)

Nah - it can be Google Certified, but not Netflix Certified. The LIT has always been Google Certified but not Netflix Certified, until today.

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
Nah - it can be Google Certified, but not Netflix Certified. The LIT has always been Google Certified but not Netflix Certified, until today.
I stand corrected,
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »
Some of the less expensive media players do not offer Netflix in HD.  Friend bought a Mygica which you can fit a 2.5" drive inside and it only manages SD on Netflix.   The Apple TV will do HD on Netflix
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline ron g

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 12:32:42 PM »

sounds very dodgy to me.
my experience has been that there is no decent consistent legal content without payment.
sky sports are certainly not going to give away their f1 programming.
so either:

it is misleading - you pay no subscription for the black box, but you do for the channels
they have pay per view channels (with rental / purchase content)
they have decent channels which make very limited free content available
they just have the crappy free channels which make up the bulk of the channels on most of these boxes

probably a combination of all of the above....

i can't find any technical details anywhere - am i missing something? i can't even find details of connections - other than what is visible in the pictures.

no credit card payment facilities, & the "paypal" facility doesn't work - just returns an error. so no way to pay even if you do really, really want to be ripped off...

rather buy one of the boxes that have been tried & recommended here - the mibox seems to be really popular.

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter