Author Topic: Wonder-Heat oil burning heaters  (Read 187 times)

Offline JayMac

Wonder-Heat oil burning heaters
« on: November 08, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »
Does anybody have one of these heaters in their houses anymore?

I have some documentation from 1971 when the model 505 was installed  in my house by the previous owners. These were Australian heaters and were pretty popular in South Africa, and were considered upmarket compared to the anthracite heaters like the Beckers that much more work to light and clean out the ash every day.

Hard to believe the prices then:
R319 for the heater, less R16 discount, plus R86 for installation, plus R7 for brickwork and plaster making a grand total of R396! It came with a stand alone external fuel tank on a stand that could hold 600 litres of heater fluid that could last two winters if you had some Scottish heritage (like me)! It worked very well - with fan assisted hot air circulation

About 15 years ago I chucked out the heater (sadly it became just too expensive to refuel).

I can scan and email the original brochure and "instructions for use" card if anybody is interested, before I throw away these papers I've been hoarding since 1988!

Cheers,
JayJay

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: Wonder-Heat oil burning heaters
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
What does the heater fluid consist of?
Does it smell when burning?

The only advantage with anthracite is that it has a higher calorific value per weight than any other fuel.  Its getting expensive now, since the Guptas took over the coal mines
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline JayMac

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
No smell at all from the heater - just lovely hot air and a faint whirr from the fan depending on fan speed. During refuelling the tank there was a mild fuel smell outside - but only until they closed the fuel tank cap!
We used to order the fluid from Home Heating Services - and I do remember that it burned hotter than illuminating fluid like paraffin which was cheaper.

I guessing, but now the approx price now would be say R15 per liter X 600 litres = R9 000 for a tankful!

Offline Yossarian

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
I had five minutes to kill and saw this. Compounding annually at the recorded rate of inflation that same heater with installation cost R25,504 in today's money. (ie R319 was equivalent to R25,504 today).

It would actually be more as I compounded annually and I should have compounded quarterly but I am not that bored nor do I have that much time.

Offline JayMac

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »
That R25k is quite a bit cheaper than the total purchase and installation cost of my cast iron multi fuel burning fireplace/stove thingamebob I have recently done. Now I only have the hassle of using my boy scout skills to kindle a fire in winter!

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »
All you ever need is dry wood, a file (or even the one one a Swiss Army knife) and a cheap lighter (fuel optional) and patience to start a fire.  Mind you, fire lighters were a bonus during a hail storm in Witbank in winter (had to get three braais going - standard, halal and vegan).  Took fifteen minutes of polar weather but did the job.  My South African colleagues and students were not happy that a POM made a plan
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 01:56:27 AM »
What does the heater fluid consist of?
Does it smell when burning?

The only advantage with anthracite is that it has a higher calorific value per weight than any other fuel.  Its getting expensive now, since the Guptas took over the coal mines

"Heater Fluid" is a fancy name for Diesel. We had one of these in the 70's which was still going strong when the folks sold the house in the mid 90's, have no idea how old it was as it was already in the house when they bought it. I remember emptying the large (about 500ml) glass bowl attached to the outlet line every so often when it filled with water, as well as replacing a screw-on cartridge filter every year, much like a cars oil filter.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline JayMac

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 07:51:27 AM »
"Heater Fluid" is a fancy name for Diesel. We had one of these in the 70's which was still going strong when the folks sold the house in the mid 90's, have no idea how old it was as it was already in the house when they bought it. I remember emptying the large (about 500ml) glass bowl attached to the outlet line every so often when it filled with water, as well as replacing a screw-on cartridge filter every year, much like a cars oil filter.

I can't say you're wrong about your heater, but ours didn't have a glass bowl or filter anywhere. Just goes to show here must have been quite a few different types of heaters around in those days.